Caribou Gear

Breakneck Billy: A Goat Hunt On Crack

End of Day 2:

The outcome of this day was to come away with a definitive play for the morning. Set up on this ridge, I picked up all three of winmag’s goats within a few minutes based on his reported locations.
IMG_6172.jpeg
IMG_6173.jpeg
The lone billy in the steep stuff.

I watched theses two big boys move up a chute into this boggy spring area on a grassy ridgeline but above a cliff lip making them only visible from certain angles.
IMG_6179.jpeg
One of these goats was clearly bigger than the other, but they both looked big. One in particular had hair that hung closer to the ground than the other’s and whose body almost looked longer from 2 miles away.

Meanwhile, bluffgruff had driven back to our side of the unit, picked up cheeseburgers for everyone, and sped up the chute I had gone up that morning to try and count rings on the billy K was keeping an eye on. A closer pic from K and a second set of eyes from bluffgruff determined he was a deceivingly young billy.

Resized_VideoCapture_20241013-171440_1728861870995.jpeg

The decision was clear for the morning. The two big polar bear summbitches may have been 7ish miles deep, but where there’s a will there’s a way, and with the one’s maturity visible from 2 miles away, it was too good of an opportunity to pass up.

A huge shout out here to winmag. Not only for his goat locating and judging abilities, but I probably learned more in 2 hours looking at the goats with him than I ever have in 2 hours of hunting in my life.

A plan in place, the walk back to the TH was brimming with the promise of tomorrow’s opportunity.

The plan:
At first light, bluffgruff would return to the glassing knob winmag and I were at the evening before in order to be a failsafe of relocating the billies, with the ability to drop off the ridgeline to meet us in the deep basin they were last seen.

K and I would leave the trucks at 3:30 to cover the 6-7 miles to set up within distance of where we left the goats the night before.

Red arrow is where goats were last seen. Blue is where I more or less envisioned K and I being by first light.
IMG_6182.jpeg

SITKA Gear Optifade Cover

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaseyField01
Back