Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Breakneck Billy: A Goat Hunt On Crack

trb

On a particularly mediocre Thursday afternoon walking back to my classroom after the bell, I opened my phone to see a new voicemail from an unknown CO number.

IMG_6044.jpg

As a public school teacher, my hunting season schedule has always been a confounding source of frustration. I have to pick and choose how I dedicate my limited time off, and often rush the hunts that I do prioritize. Contrasted with that, is my surplus of scouting time available. Thus my quandary when I texted some friends to gut check whether I should accept this potentially once-per-20-years hunt with 5 hunting days left in the season. @winmag summarized it best when he texted me, “ will it provide the experience you want?” My gut reaction, was hard no. Having never held a “big 3” tag before myself, I always envisioned spending my summer off scouting, then acting on my scouting decisively in the 3-5 day window I’d be able to take off during the season itself. On the other hand, it was impossibly difficult to resist the urge to go for it and appreciate the opportunity presented to me with whatever time I had.

As luck would have it, my wife would be traveling for work, so I could have my toddler spend some quality grandparent time for three days while I got after it in the little time I had. Also, it was a weekday-only hunt. Hugely tipping the scales towards accepting CPW’s offer, was the offered assistance of a good friend from my USFWS days, as well as the invaluable presence of @Bluffgruff for all 3 days, and @winmag on Sunday. Here would be the draft schedule: scout starting around noon Saturday with the help of bluffgruff and my buddy K; scout all day Sunday with the help of all 3, and aim to kill by Monday with a hard cutoff of 10 am in order to be back in time for an RMBS/BHA event I organized to spread the word opposing prop 127. Not exactly the “experience” I had dreamed of over my years of applying, but gotta take what you can get!

Another con to accepting is that I had purposefully avoided jumping down the rabbit hole on any of the big 3, so my confidence was not exactly brimming with knowledge of determining gender, age, or even behavior this time of year. However, having two experienced hunters like winmag and bluffgruff, really boosted my confidence of being able to do this tag at least some abbreviated justice. Also, I was coming off the back of a goat hunt! Just a few weeks prior, one of my closest friends got this very same call for a different unit. I dropped my leave days I had taken for my muzzleloader elk hunt, and immediately went to help.

It is not really my story to tell, but I can share that we had 4 guys, we glassed about 6 different basins, and saw 1 goat, a 2.5 year old billy that my friend was thrilled to take with limited time on the tag. After that experience, not only was I potentially addicted to goat hunting, but at least I had some minor experience to hang my hat on.

IMG_5850.jpg

All that is a long way of saying, I accepted the tag.

Some explanation for the rest of the story. I don't feel like there are many secrets in goat hunting this unit given its recreational popularity and the difficulty of drawing the tag, so I will be posting likely recognizable landscapes. This is all publicly available through CPW, so I don't think I am really blowing up anyone's spot.

Also, this will probably take me about 24 hours to finish up, so save your complaints about my thread posting speed, and go enjoy your life. No promises of 230" deer to let you all down with here.

Last edited:
Some explanation for the rest of the story. I don't feel like there are many secrets in goat hunting this unit given its recreational popularity and the difficulty of drawing the tag, so I will be posting likely recognizable landscapes. This is all publicly available to CPW, so I don't think I am really blowing up anyone's spot.

Also, this will probably take me about 24 hours to finish up, so save your complaints about my thread posting speed, and go enjoy your life. No promises of 230" deer to let you all down with here.
I've been waiting for a high country muzzy deer thread... Did I miss it? Or are you too busy with your elitist goat hunting to partake of the commoners hunts? LOL

Day 1: Saturday
Through some collaborative e-scouting we prioritized about 5 or 6 different drainages that were worth looking at, with multiple being able to be checked on the same hikes or from the same glassing knobs.

K and I arrived to the trailhead at the same time, and it was determined that I would do a large loop hike while checking into the heads of about 4 or 5 basins. K would climb a 12,300 ft peak that would give him a great vantage of some slopes to the N. Bluffgruff volunteered for a long hike on a Ridgeline that would give him a series of different glassing perspectives across multiple 13ers, 2 14ers, and into some really great looking basins.

The strategy was to locate as many goats as possible as fast as possible, and start to narrow the candidates from there. Winmag's goal for me was clear. A mature, ideally 6+ year old billy, looking like a white gorilla or polar bear. It should have a sway back and pot belly, and a Roman nose. This was just the beginning of my crash course in billy identification.

IMG_6065.jpeg

Packing light but with a 60x spotter and gear for staying at altitude til last light, I began to hike up a drainage towards a popular 14er. My plan was to cut off trail through willows then up to a ridgeline at 12,800 ft to start peeking into basins. I hadn’t even made it off trail before I spotted a group of goats working up a grassy chute through some cliffs. A promising start. As suspected, it was obviously a group of nannies and kids.
IMG_6064.jpeg
Another few hundred feet and I put my binos up to glass a steep shute towards the top of a 13er that looked like something was skylined in. Sure enough, another goat! This one looked alone, and larger bodied, but was too far to make any judgements. He was near the final destination for the evening, so I marked his location, took a pic or 7, and began to cut off trail and up to the ridgeline that would lead me to my next glassing location.

IMG_6073.jpeg

IMG_6086.jpegDay 1 continued…
Climbing up to the ridgeline to begin jumping the heads of basins, I spotted a group of sheep bedded in the grassy slopes at 12,500 ft. You know it is going to be a good hunt when you are passing sheep on your way still up!

IMG_6088.jpeg

At the head of the first basin, nothing spotted. It is hard to make judgements based on 30 minute glassing sessions midday, but I feel like goat hunting may be an exception to that rule. Although I am sure I could have missed some (they are surprisingly difficult to see bedded in rocks), I did not have the luxury of dedicating prime glassing times ot every basin in the area.

IMG_6089.jpeg
Onto the next one! Nada.

IMG_6096.jpeg
And the next one… more sheep!

IMG_6101.jpeg
And the next one….nothing again!

Finally I began to loop over and around a prominent 13er to where I knew the lone goat had been a few hours before.

Back