Bowhunters - not a big impact?

Just talked with a buddy back from hunting SW MT. Passed on a 23 yard shot because bull wasn't in a good position. Later in the day he found a rotten bull with an arrow in it's guts. Said it reaffirmed his decision to not take the shot.

Does everybody that cripples/maims/gut shoots an elk go to social media and hunting forums to start a topic? This one’s my favorite of the day..
View attachment 342625
“Any information is useful in adjusting my arrow build”, as if his arrow build is the reason his arrow ended up in the guts, shoulder joint, ass, or wherever he hit it. I would love to know the shot distance and other particulars.

I have several whitetail with a bow, but lost the first one I ever hit- guess it was just low. Good angle. Great blood, until it dried up. Even called in a dog, still lost her. Never again.

My elk hunting experience has been 4 years. I’ve been full draw a lot. Passed on a lot of shots because of a bad angle, bad brush, unknown range, ran out of light, ran out of time, was shaking too bad, 5 yards too far, elk wouldn’t stop, etc. And I don’t regret a single shot I didn’t take. I’ll get that archery bull eventually, but nothing is worth losing another animal.

I regret rushing a shot on a doe pronghorn with a .308. Clean miss over her back, saw the dust, but I still trailed the herd for over a mile until I got eyes on them again. She was fine.

I regret rushing a shot in a small whitetail in Missouri. Put a .270 through the guts at last light. Follow up shot on the move anchored it, but still bothers me.

I don’t regret this shot, but the situation makes me sick to my stomach to this day. Friend and I lost an elk after it crossed into private with a couple rifle rounds in it. Never found blood in the snow, but it was hit. No residents on property. Onx was not much help, just an accountant that was unavailable. No answer from the game wardens. Tried three realtors to try getting contact info. Left messages where we could, and that was that- didn’t have the battery, water, or clothing to stay up on the ridge with service any longer. So the legal answer was we walked away from a hit elk, as we couldn’t secure permission to go after it. If I had it over, I’m not sure what I’d do. But I still hate the outcome to that day.

I try to be ethical. Practice. Pass shots when I’m not comfortable. Limit my range. Especially with archery. And that’s probably why my ratio is better with archery than a rifle. But that’s only because I take far fewer opportunities. I can see how elk hunting leads to an unbelievable amount of wounding loss on elk.

But until we have accurate reporting of harvest and unrecovered animals, then the facts of this matter are speculative, and a legal response to this issue can only be a guess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clarklcbs
Back