Kenetrek Boots

Bleaching skulls

BradA

What product do you use to bleach your skulls? I have a few I would like to whiten after many years later being boiled.

I’ve used the kits from Bridger Boiler. I’m sure there are cheaper alternatives, but I’ve had good luck with them.
I think it’s just soda ash and peroxide, but it’s a pretty convenient little package and enough to handle a skull easily.

Last edited:
I use the the salon care 40 clear with some water and submerge for 24 hrs. Then I come back and hit all the reachable places with the salon care 40 crème and a tooth brush. Then I’ll let that sit on there for at least 12 hrs. Then rinse and let dry to see how it looks.

I use the hair cream also. Brush it onto the skull, then take some paper towel and lay it on the skull. Brush some more cream on the paper towel and then wrap the skull in Saran Wrap and leave it in the sun a few days.

I like the liquid over the cream. Mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with water bring to boil and and cut the heat and leave it for an hour. Or go without heat for like a day or two.

1719932061213.png

Man so many great suggestions! I’m almost overwhelmed with what route to go haha

Think it was mentioned, but I too use the liquid 40 Volume peroxide, and mix it with Clairol BW2 powdered whitener. form a paste and brush on, leave for a few days and brush off. Works great.

Think it was mentioned, but I too use the liquid 40 Volume peroxide, and mix it with Clairol BW2 powdered whitener. form a paste and brush on, leave for a few days and brush off. Works great.
ill have to try this with my next one

I had good luck with the 40 vol peroxide and powdered whitener as well. Funny story- I walked into a Sally beauty supply store with my skull bleaching shopping list. I felt and probably looked a little lost and out of place in there, so I asked the teenager working there where I could find these items. Without missing a beat, she asked if I was trying to bleach a skull, and proceeded to tell me all about her favorite bleaching concoctions, what brush to use for the little cavities, etc. :ROFLMAO: Great customer service right there!

I use paper towel strips drenched in 40 vol creme developer and cover the skull with it, wrap it in saran wrap and wait a couple days.

For bears, I mix the peroxide creme with water and simmer the skulls for 30-45 minutes.

Stating the obvious to most but don't use bleach. My BIL took "bleaching a skull" litarily and used bleach on one of his heads and ruined it.

I’ve been doing heads for family and friends for years. Used to have Beatles but got tired of them and switched to the power washer.
My final bleaching is 1 part peroxide to 3 parts water. Bring to a simmer put in skull for about 30 minutes and put in the sun for a few days and you’re done. You must protect the basses from the solution or they will be white. I wrap them with tin foil and electrical tape over the foil, that works well. No need to brush on the hair dresser stuff and try to get it into every crevice. This is the easy part for me, getting them washed is the dirty part. After power washing the degreasing part is very important. Doesn’t matter how white they look at first the grease will bleed through if you don’t get it all out. Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_2940.jpeg
    IMG_2940.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2941.jpeg
    IMG_2941.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2942.jpeg
    IMG_2942.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
I had good luck with the 40 vol peroxide and powdered whitener as well. Funny story- I walked into a Sally beauty supply store with my skull bleaching shopping list. I felt and probably looked a little lost and out of place in there, so I asked the teenager working there where I could find these items. Without missing a beat, she asked if I was trying to bleach a skull, and proceeded to tell me all about her favorite bleaching concoctions, what brush to use for the little cavities, etc. :ROFLMAO: Great customer service right there!

Exact same experience..lol
Once it dries I give it a couple coats of mop and glow. Gives a nice finish and makes them easier to keep clean.

Use the peroxide method and put the skull on a white sheet in direct sunlight. mtmuley

Look for a pool store or go online look for a non-chlorine pool shock with 27% hydrogen peroxide in it. Simmer the skull in it for 1-2 hours. Pulls grease and bleaches.

Advertisement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacksoncsalmon
Back