Caribou Gear Tarp

Bison - Do We Care (Enough)?

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Many of you followed along with the bison hunt stories of @Bluffgruff and @YoungGun of their free-range bison hunts. I've been lucky to have three free-range bison tags. When I reached out to these guys and suggested a podcast to promote the cause of bison, they were quick to offer.

After the podcast, Bluff cooked some amazing fajitas he brought from his hunt. If that recipe is not a family secret, I hope he posts it on Hunt Talk.

This is one of the longest podcasts we've ever published. It could have went a lot longer. It was a great conversation among three hunters who have had the amazing experience of true free-range bison hunts that makes a hunter wish for more of those opportunities and surely makes one an advocate for the cause of wild bison.

You can download the podcast at the link below or wherever you get your podcasts.

If you haven't read the two bison hunts stories from these guys, you should do that. They are at the links below. These are some of the best stories Hunt Talk has had in many years.

Here is the story by @Bluffgruff - https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/let-them-roam-a-bison-yarn.324074/

Here is the story by @YoungGun - https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/make-bison-hunting-great-again.321841/

Thanks for listening and following along.

My most recent bison story is one of our videos -

Carne asada marinade

2lbs flank steak, Denver steak, or whatever, sliced 3/4" thick in 3" wide strip, whatever length fits on your grill.

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
Juice from 2 limes
Juice from 2 oranges
1 tsp ground cumin
4 garlic cloves, pressed or very finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 hot pepper of your choice, finely chopped

Add pepper to taste, likely won't need any more salt than what's in the soy sauce.

Marinate meat from 4 hours to 3 days in the fridge.

Cook on medium-high heat for 3 minutes per side.

Slice thin

Serve with tortilla and taco toppings of your choice.

We did flour and corn street taco tortillas, with the carne asada, and pico, guac, and queso fresco for one style; and chopped yellow onion, coasely chopped cilantro, and lime crema (sour cream, lime juice, touch of sugar) for the others. Extra lime juice from freshly sliced limes never hurts.

I only took these two pictures of last week's edition.

20240730_163457.jpg

20240730_163807.jpg

Started, but it’ll take some time due to truck listening. My quiet place…

Colorado is in the process of discussing whether to reclassify bison from livestock to big game. The current dichotomy is that bison are listed in the State Wildlife Action Plan (SWAP) as a Tier 2 Species of Greatest Conservation Need. This issue arose when a group advocating for bison discovered the secret (not a secret any more) that Utah's Book Cliffs bison were being legally shot by hunters when they wandered across the state line.

As I finished typing this, I realized y'all probably discussed it in the podcast that I haven't listened to yet.....

I need to listen to it. I believe they’re all considered domestics or escaped domestics in Idaho. I do know they’re basically shot on sight if one comes over from Yellowstone

Way Cool!
I have something to listen to today when the heat sets in.
Always loved the Bison. The animal.
Given some burger last year and love it.

Awesome podcast! I love the reasonable goals. So, what do we do? What groups can we join or support? A quick Google search mainly leads bison producers.

Where’s the RMEF for bison? Where’s our goal is to protect the land that bison inhabited historically and to put bison on it.

If they’re considered stock, what’s to say we don’t buy up grasslands and we “raise free range bison?”

Great podcast. It is the reason I finally made an account. After the podcast I had to come read the stories. I wanted to zoom into some photos but it wouldn’t let me with out an account. So here I am.

I have a WY bison tag this fall and have been doing a deep dive. You guys have some great info on here.

The Bison is the top on my bucket list for animals to harvest one day. For us hunters in the Piney Woods of North Louisiana, the bison will always be an animal of great mystery.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back