BHA - Motorized Watercraft Petition

bigsky2

So at work the other day I am talking public land-related politics with one of my coworkers. He said at the local Walleyes Unlimited meeting someone was talking about how "a group called Backcountry Hunters Anglers is trying to prevent access to the Missouri". This came as a surprise to me so I tried to look into it. All I could find was an article from May of this year that said BHA has a proposal to limit motorized watercraft use on tributaries and mainstems of the Bitterroot, Flathead, Missouri, and Yellowstone rivers. I have always been a fan of BHA and I plan on becoming a member. According to the article I read, the proposal doesn't sound as bad as my coworker made it out to be. Can someone maybe shed some light on what this proposal says exactly?

The petitions is being considered by the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Commission and will have public airing in that venue. It does not shut down or "prevent" access anywhere. It attempts to identify sensitive streams, spawning streams, etc. where motorized use is not yet prevalent, and conserve them for exiting, traditional access. It's trying to get ahead of the curve as hybrid ATVs, airboats and other motorized technologies march higher into the headwaters. That's what I know.

I read the petition and I am for it 100%. I will have to explain it to my coworker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mdunaway
Back