Best synthetic wicking base layer?

wvhunter304

What is a great, long sleeve, early season base layer? Something wicking that I can add a layer to later in the year. Looking for recommendations. Thanks.

I have no complaints about my sitka stuff. Dries fast and doesn't get stinky. I don't like merino because it doesn't dry quick in my opinion.

You’ll get a lot of Sitka recommendations here for good reason. I use first lite, the wick is a good base layer from theirs. Big plus if you have a long torso like mine, they seemed to fit better for me.

I've had great experience with some Under Armour cold gear I bought at clearance price years ago. Dries quickly and I've worn them for days without stinking.

For synthetic I like my kuiu Gila long sleeve. They also make a hoodie but it's less handy for layering. For wool I like my first lite base layers.

You’ll get a lot of Sitka recommendations here for good reason. I use first lite, the wick is a good base layer from theirs. Big plus if you have a long torso like mine, they seemed to fit better for me.
Oh my bad, I didn’t read the synthetic part.

I got their trace system as well. Seemed okay, breathed decent. Smelled to high hell though.

The Stone Glacier Avro hoody is what I wore for 9 days this fall. No smell, wicks extremely well, dries fast, chest zipper goes almost to to belly button to vent. Has thumb holes in the sleeves. Worked great in mid 20s am hiking in and mid 70s during the day.

I also used it last year whitetail hunting here in WI as a base layer under a fanatic hoody, worked great in that role too.

Last edited:
I've had great experience with some Under Armour cold gear I bought at clearance price years ago. Dries quickly and I've worn them for days without stinking.
I love my under UA cold gear but hot damn that stuff smells rotten if I sweat at all in it. Haha

Back