Barnes LRX question

I agree about the 139 being their golden child. What I find odd is when they finally produced a ammo for the 280AI this year they opted for the new152g LRX over the 145g and 139g.

I agree about the 139 being their golden child. What I find odd is when they finally produced a ammo for the 280AI this year they opted for the new152g LRX over the 145g and 139g.
The 152 is designed specifically for that cartridge. They may have found it easier to get acceptable accuracy with a brand new bullet across the wide spectrum of barrels, than with the older bullets. That’s just speculation of course.

The real reason is probably closer to maximizing the BC since the spec’d twist rate is 1:9 for the 280 AI.

Fair point, I have a few boxes but I haven't got to shoot them yet. Hopefully they are good shooters. Definitely would like to see a 139g version though to get a few more FPS.

I am a novice reloader and am learning as I go. My simple goal is to find that one recipe for each of my rifles that gives me reliable “minute of deer” accuracy out to max of 400 for certain cartridges.

The other day I tested my first batch of 270 loaded with the 129 grain LRX, using H4831SC. I’d be very happy with a load of around 3000-3100 FPS and 1MOA. Without a chrono I’ll be guessing based on charts though.

First two loads ever in this rifle (a used one I bought recently) at 57 and 58 grains were .8 and .75” Impressed. Promptly ordered 3 more boxes of this bullet.

I’d like to find a hotter load at 59-60 grains that keeps accuracy there, or who knows, better. Seems like it shouldn’t be too difficult with such a good start.

Last edited:
I am a novice reloader and am learning as I go. My simple goal is to find that one recipe for each of my rifles that gives me reliable “minute of deer” accuracy out to max of 400 for certain cartridges.

The other day I tested my first batch of 270 loaded with the 129 grain LRX, using H4831SC. I’d be very happy with a load of around 3000-3100 FPS and 1MOA. Without a chrono I’ll be guessing based on charts though.

First two loads ever in this rifle (a used one I bought recently) at 57 and 58 grains were .8 and .75” Impressed. Promptly ordered 3 more boxes of this bullet.

I’d like to find a hotter load at 59-60 grains that keeps accuracy there, or who knows, better. Seems like it shouldn’t be too difficult with such a good start.
You should be kissing 3000fps around that. Totally understand wanting to tinker-- that's what makes us reloaders reload-- but I'd be perfectly happy hunting with that load if I were in your shoes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back