Backcountry communication

338 win mag

What is your go to satellite messaging device? Seems the most popular is the inreach mini, but seems there are a good many other options available also. Amazon has the Motorola defy on sale for $79 but reviews are mixed. Luckily we've always had decent cell service on most of our hunts, but I'd like to be covered in the event we can't rely on phones alone

What is your go to satellite messaging device? Seems the most popular is the inreach mini, but seems there are a good many other options available also. Amazon has the Motorola defy on sale for $79 but reviews are mixed. Luckily we've always had decent cell service on most of our hunts, but I'd like to be covered in the event we can't rely on phones alone
This year upgraded to an iPhone that can satellite text. Never had another device so upgrading was a nice two for one in my eyes.

Others on here have said it worked well for them, this weekend will be my guest true test

This year upgraded to an iPhone that can satellite text. Never had another device so upgrading was a nice two for one in my eyes.

Others on here have said it worked well for them, this weekend will be my guest true test
I'm currently an Android user with no real plans to switch. I'm not sure if Android offers that on newer phones

I'm currently an Android user with no real plans to switch. I'm not sure if Android offers that on newer phones
I don't think yet, but likely coming? I thought I heard t-mobile was going to partner with someone to offer it as well, not sure if android has the hardware to utilize it or not though.

Kind of a niche thing, but when I was die for an upgrade anyway, two birds one stone in my eyes

Id give it 2 years or less and stand alone satellite communications will be obsolete. Right now I have the inreach mini and the cheapest plan is around $100/year. Soon all cell phones will be satellite capable on the starlink network. It's just a matter of time as technology evolves. Right now my iphone 12 already can do SOS if I have no service, it just cant text.

In the meantime, the inreach mini works great. I just dont expect it to have any resale value soon.

Have and still use a SPOT since they first came out. Would really be nice to text a message. Just upgraded my iPhone last year from a 5 to a 14 only because the 5 was messing up. If things work I have a habit of not changing. But I will most likely update in a couple years to a phone with satellite texting.

My daughter and a friend both have the Inreach and really like them.

Back