MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

ATV winch cable

Gellar

I need to replace my ATV winch cable. The winch's main use is to lift the atv snowplow up and down, but it does get occasional use for unstucking the atv or pulling deer out of deep ravines. I'm looking at something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Synthetic-95...fbcd8e73ab2983ee5dcb524fa13&gad_source=1&th=1

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket atv cables? Suggestions on brand, what to look for, what to stay away from, etc.

Looks like a good one, and yes even with a roller fairlead, up and down of a plow wears through them. I have went the Warn route and used their synthetic rope for the few replacements I have done, but I think the one you have is a good match. And again, with the plow, NONE of them will last too long, so this one will get you one more replacement.

I have metal cable on my year 2000 model warn atv winch. Use my cable exclusively for raising lowering snowplow. Never considered a poly replacement. What is the benefit of poly? Can’t see “weight” as a good reason but wonder why folks switch to poly.

My atv is a 2000 model polaris sportsman 500. Hard to believe it still runs although have spent a good bit last few years on clutch, couple front shocks, and carburetor. One of these days that atv will leave me in a lurch on a hunt then I will suck it up and buy a newer used atv…

I have metal cable on my year 2000 model warn atv winch. Use my cable exclusively for raising lowering snowplow. Never considered a poly replacement. What is the benefit of poly? Can’t see “weight” as a good reason but wonder why folks switch to poly.

My atv is a 2000 model polaris sportsman 500. Hard to believe it still runs although have spent a good bit last few years on clutch, couple front shocks, and carburetor. One of these days that atv will leave me in a lurch on a hunt then I will suck it up and buy a newer used atv…
My main reason for synthetic is I was hoping that it would last longer, like someone said the up and down of the snowplow is hard. The cable splinters and comes unbraided and I was hoping that it would not happen as fast with the synthetic?

My main reason for synthetic is I was hoping that it would last longer, like someone said the up and down of the snowplow is hard. The cable splinters and comes unbraided and I was hoping that it would not happen as fast with the synthetic?
thanks. Yes, I have cut the unbraided splinter end if my cable a couple times and so far just keep shortening a few feet as needed. Still have that 24 year old cable in place.

I have synthetic on my ranger and like it. I am replacing it this year with a new one. Id suspect it was original from 2017 it did break a few time on me this winter moving snow. I believe from it being old and the wet heavy snow lifting it up and down. I have been looking at the flat winch strap to use strictly for my plow but i will decide that on how easy it is to take the rope on or off.

I get that synthetics would last longer and are lighter--what I don't get is why synthetics wouldn't fray under the same use that causes wire to start splintering, and why less weight is an issue?

My 500 sportsman is almost exclusively used for snow plowing. I'm not much of a fan of riding for riding's sake. Don't need it to drag deer and I walk when hunting from where I can park. Have used one for hauling quarters of a moose and while want one for the next time I chase bear though.

I get that synthetics would last longer and are lighter--what I don't get is why synthetics wouldn't fray under the same use that causes wire to start splintering, and why less weight is an issue?

My 500 sportsman is almost exclusively used for snow plowing. I'm not much of a fan of riding for riding's sake. Don't need it to drag deer and I walk when hunting from where I can park. Have used one for hauling quarters of a moose and while want one for the next time I chase bear though.
The cables I am looking at have a higher break point than cable and it is thinner in diameter. Thus, I can get more cable on the winch. More cable is not necessary for just lifting and lowering my plow, but if I’m stuck or need to pull a carcass out of ravine extra feet might be the difference in success. Weight is not an issue for me.

Something that just came to mind. with a cable when you are pulling a stuck atv or a heavy animal out of a crevice the possibility of breaking a cable is good, and when that cable snaps it recoils, and can lead to serious injury if it strikes a person. thus, the need for a cable weight in the middle of your cable. Is/can recoil be as bad with synthetic?

Synthetic obviously the way to go but the fabric covering they put on the last foot by the hook are horrible. First thing I take off. It will get all bound up and prevents a good tight winding.

Something that just came to mind. with a cable when you are pulling a stuck atv or a heavy animal out of a crevice the possibility of breaking a cable is good, and when that cable snaps it recoils, and can lead to serious injury if it strikes a person. thus, the need for a cable weight in the middle of your cable. Is/can recoil be as bad with synthetic?
The synthetic is safer. I saw a Youtube video where guys stress tested between steel cable and synthetic. Can get really western when steel cable breaks.

Synthetic way safer and easier but don't last as long, amazon sells short (6'?) Plow lines cheap. I swap my long for short every winter for my 76" kfi blade then back to long as spring approaches. Never using steel again!

Synthetic obviously the way to go but the fabric covering they put on the last foot by the hook are horrible. First thing I take off. It will get all bound up and prevents a good tight winding.
Good to know. I see the one I linked to has a 5’ protective sleeve.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back