Caribou Gear Tarp

ATV winch cable

I'm quite sure for the same strainth the Synthetic is larger in diameter. I replaced what ever the tensel strainth was on my winch, I don't remember what it was. I had to take the flat spring thing on the drum to get the same length of cable.

Good to know. I see the one I linked to has a 5’ protective sleeve.
But that goes to my point--wouldn't synthetic fray like cables get damaged? That protective sleeve is in place to prevent that, right (not sure, just asking). So take that sleeve off and what then?

My cable is fine but only used it for plowing for three years now and last year I only had to use it twice. Didn't even have to fire up the snowblower once-- In MN! I have a long driveyway so am not raising and lowering as much as some might though.

i would think that if your dealing with the weight of a plow,i would think cable would be better for weight and low stretch,,if you go synthetic you gotta make sure there is nothing that could shafe or cut on corners or pullys.

ive been using the factory cable on mine for over 10 years with only the hook going bad once and repaired,,i just make sure i clean and oil the cable every once in a while and inspect for frays.oiling once a year helps the cable live a long time.

ive been using the factory cable on mine for over 10 years with only the hook going bad once and repaired,,i just make sure i clean and oil the cable every once in a while and inspect for frays.oiling once a year helps the cable live a long time.
shoot, I am 24 years too late for this…

On a snowplow, you should attach a pully to the plow and run the cable/rope around the pully and back to the atv/utv. This puts less stress on the winch and gives a little more control of the plow.

Screenshot 2024-08-06 164010.png

On a snowplow, you should attach a pully to the plow and run the cable/rope around the pully and back to the atv/utv. This puts less stress on the winch and gives a little more control of the plow.

View attachment 335544
Never thought of doing that on the plow. I know on my deer hoist which is basically a winch on the ceiling doing that doubles the lifting power.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back