Yeti GOBOX Collection

APR and hunting

I will leave it to your best guess to figure out who the "former director" was....should not be to tough to figure out.... The regional director for the Mule Deer Foundation went and interviewed/talked with APR leadership 5-6 years ago...the MDF director was staying with me, and told me after talking with the APR that hunting was an option for now, but would eventually be phased out....

so straight.....still think I am attempting to "alienate"?

Anyone who is honest with themselves and will look at the big picture can see what will take place(perhaps it is only clear to those of us who live here) The APR will have eventually own their 3 million + acres...taking in most of Valley and Phillips Counties. The "American Serengeti" will not be hunted by people. The wolves, grizzly bears and coyotes will be the only ones doing any hunting.

I will leave it to your best guess to figure out who the "former director" was....should not be to tough to figure out.
For those of us not a part of your more widely informed crowd, that still provides no name, credentials, documentation or anything to follow-up. Please stop guessing games and be more forthcoming. Thank-you in advance.

Anyone who is honest with themselves and will look at the big picture can see what will take place(perhaps it is only clear to those of us who live here) The APR will have eventually own their 3 million + acres...taking in most of Valley and Phillips Counties.

How much of your 3 million acre number will be deeded land? They will never "own" or "control" 3 million acres. Vast majority will be "yellow or pink", our public land. Awaiting your snarky response with no answer.

Perhaps the former director is the same one who convinced APR that block management was a good idea? ;) I've hunted birds there twice and both outings have been exceptional. We hunted public, Block management and other areas that are not enrolled in block. We put up birds all over the place.

I've had the pleasure of working with the APR crew for a number of years now on legislative issues as they are attacked at the state house for exercising their private property rights. They are a thoughtful bunch, and constantly working to evolve their management practices and look at the best way to manage their land, and their leases, for the benefit of wildlife and ecological connectivity. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that they were looking at phasing out hunting in some areas of the property, especially since they feel wildlife numbers are too low. Their vision has large herds of elk, pronghorn, deer and yes, bison on their property. However, public engagement and tourism have always been a part of that vision. Hunting is evolving on the APR and I think with each year, they get closer to understanding what the best method of hunting management is. Most of their staff that makes these decisions are biologists first, and as such, they simply take in to account what is best for the critters and the land. At one point, I know they were considering making gutless a standard requirement for hunting on the deeded land so they could increase the amount of biomass on the prairie. They've shut down sage grouse hunting and they do not allow predator hunting on their deeded land.

Over all, it's not that much different than hunting any other large ranch, except there's a really nice campground set up around Sun Prairie.

I guess you could the APR as a problem....if you were an outfitter worried about your ability to lock up leases for your exclusive use.....

One of the places they purchased (can't remember which one, but it was about 5 years ago) had been shut off for public use, along with a few thousand acres of BLM, due to a chain running across a county road. It was outfitted and the family that owned he place was clear public hunting wouldn't be allowed. It's now in Block management, IRRC and the public land is accessible. Saw some very nice pronghorn bucks on it when we toured it, and a few raggedy bull elk too.

At one point, I know they were considering making gutless a standard requirement for hunting on the deeded land so they could increase the amount of biomass on the prairie.

What is "gutless"? Never having heard the term, I assume the way to increase biomass would be to leave the gut piles there but isn't that the norm? So "gutless" would mean taking your kill out "gutless"? Thanks.

"Gutless Method"

It's what I consider the best method for backpack hunting. Allows you to quarter the animal out but leave behind the gutpile, rib cage and often times the hide and other pieces of the animal that make no sense to pack out.

Last edited:
"Gutless Method"

It's what I consider the best method for backpack hunting. Allows you to quarter the animal out but leave behind the gutpile, rib cage and often times the hide and other pieces of the animal that make no sense to pack out.

This.

You can bone out the quarters, get the neck, rib, loin, backstrap, flank meat and leave the bones, hide, guts, etc. Here's Randy's video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbnp82DWMCE

"Gutless Method"

Thanks. I guess I've never done it any other way and wondered why there would be a need for a requirement. I have seen a few people, rarely, haul out the whole animal, but never understood that. The second I'm on the kill, the guts come out, the hide comes off and the quarters are getting air.

I'll take the ribs, though, and the heart and liver and hide, but I always left the stomach, lungs, intestines, etc.

You'd be surprised how many people drag out the entire animal. Growing up with my dad and uncles I hauled every animal out whole besides the guts all the way until I was out of high school and started hunting by myself and figured there had to be a better way. First time I told my dad I packed my mule deer out by myself it took him a while to even comprehend why I would want to do that. Personally, I could have an animal die 5 feet from the pickup and I'm still quartering it there. I'd much rather hang quarters than whole bodies.

How much of your 3 million acre number will be deeded land? They will never "own" or "control" 3 million acres. Vast majority will be "yellow or pink", our public land. Awaiting your snarky response with no answer.
What? These couple sections?

Back