Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Anyone near Gillette that minds sharing some intel on the fires?

Deer, antelope, and elk died from the fire after exhausting themselves running, laying down and the fire consuming them. Depends on the fire and which of the fires around Gillette. Last weekend some pilots told me they did see elk and deer in waterways when flying back to Gillette from fires they were working. Crews at the airport here have done sporadic flying for the fires.

I called the Sheridan office yesterday. I planned on getting a refund for my cow tag, was given a wardens number and left a message. The lady on the phone asked if I was hunting public or private and if I was hunting with an outfitter. After answering her questions, she then told me the biologist wasn’t available based on my answers. Still awaiting a call back and will try again tomorrow calling for the biologist.
Yeah, I’ve tried not to bother anyone there at Fish and Game since I’m sure that they have bigger fish to fry. I don’t plan to ask for a refund or suspension, so I plan on calling them after the fires cool down and things settle a bit

I drew a deer tag in that general area, was going to go with my bow september 6th. Hopefully I wont be too early.

I would just hunt as if nothing had changed, unless your spots are up against the fire line. Giver hell.

I would just hunt as if nothing had changed, unless your spots are up against the fire line. Giver hell.
the spot I wanted to try is about a mile and a half away from the fire I think that would be far enough. What caliber of deer should I be expecting?

Not huge, but you never know. I would pay attention to anything getting out to the end of his ears with 3pts per side or more. It's just not a place that big deer are super common in my experience. I'm up there pretty regularly for work and recreation.

Can not speak for down in WY, But there is going to be quite a few temporary road closures on the Custer in SE MT. If you are Escouting the SW part of the forest it might be a much longer walk to get to where you are looking to go.

Not huge, but you never know. I would pay attention to anything getting out to the end of his ears with 3pts per side or more. It's just not a place that big deer are super common in my experience. I'm up there pretty regularly for work and recreation.
good to know, I wasn't expecting anything giant. from what I can see from e-scouting it looks like there is a decent amount of stalkable terrain. I tried to call some people to get access to some landlocked public but they all seemed pretty strict about no hunters.

good to know, I wasn't expecting anything giant. from what I can see from e-scouting it looks like there is a decent amount of stalkable terrain. I tried to call some people to get access to some landlocked public but they all seemed pretty strict about no hunters.
Nearly all ranches are leased to outfitters now... and those leases include landlocked public lands.

The few that aren't do their own guiding... on landlocked public lands as well as their deeded properties.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back