Anyone else been kicked off rocks lied?

One does wonder how they got anyone to respond to that survey.
Usually by hiding what they’re actually interested in by mixing in a lot of varied, redundant but seemingly unrelated, questions.

If you cut straight to the chase and ask do you own a gun and have a small 🐓, no one is going to answer that very honestly. So you hide those more “private” questions under the guise of health related questions. The gun ownership questions are usually pretty straightforward and kept so brief that by the end it seemed completely insignificant.

I got my degree in social science, and I volunteer for a lot of surveys to help folks gather data for their research. From my experience, that’s typically how this stuff works. You don’t want to let on to the respondents what you’re researching, because then they’ll alter their answers to skew the data or respond with what they think you want to hear.

Last edited:
But maybe super functional? A friend of mine basically built his own by chopping up his factory stock and piecing it back together with foam and CF cloth. It looks rough but it sure does point and hold well. He claims he shoots the gun way better now
You have a friend with a rockslide stock?

Isn't hunttalk the only forum you haven't been run off of yet?

You're not cool unless you shoot cow elk in alfalfa fields every year right buzzy? The spam threads with pics and blow your own horn. #keephammering #buzzhettick? No it's #buzzheadache

Not sure who you think shoots elk in alfalfa fields, but I never have?

You sound confused.

Can you point out the alfalfa for all of us in any elk hunting picture I have posted, and there has been many.

The following picture is in a juniperous osteosperma stand, commonly called Utah Juniper. Utah Juniper is a tree, not a forb in the legume family like alfalfa. That fluffy stuff in front of that bulls neck, that is a grass, one of the native sedges to Wyoming.

IMG_0606.jpeg

This look like an "alfalfa" field to you? That is actually sage brush. Under that snow, there are several species of grass that elk find quite palatable. At least 2 species of fescues, a gramma, and a sedge or two.

4CCA9C16-07A1-4A01-8FC3-296480DF6DA91.jpeg

This elk was in a stand of Quercus gambelii, also a tree species in the interior west. I can understand how you may confuse this one with a shrub, but it is classified as a tree species. If you try to hunt, shoot, or pack elk out of a stand of Gambel's oak you probably will not forget it.

IMG_20221020_091634017.jpg

This elk was shot in a mixed stand of Spruce, Subalpine fir, lodgepole and aspen, those are trees. Lots of grasses, mostly pine grass, some sedges again, 2 species of timothy, and likely even a poa or three. While this is a much wetter site than the above pictures, there is clearly no alfalfa anywhere near this place. Would be tough to get the permitting in designated wilderness to clear that area for alfalfa, divert the nearby creek for irrigation, and doubtful the required farm equipment for the job would be allowed.

IMG_4064.JPG

If you need any further clarification on what alfalfa looks like or you're unfamiliar with the varied habitats that elk call home, by all means, don't be afraid to ask. I'm here to help, in particular with the clueless and for those that are much better at shooting their mouths than elk.

Last edited:
Not sure who you think shoots elk in alfalfa fields, but I never have?

You sound confused.

Can you point out the alfalfa for all of us in any elk hunting picture I have posted, and there has been many.

The following picture is in a juniperous osteosperma stand, commonly called Utah Juniper. Utah Juniper is a tree, not a forb in the legume family like alfalfa. That fluffy stuff in front of that bulls neck, that is a grass, one of the native sedges to Wyoming.

IMG_0606.jpeg

This look like an "alfalfa" field to you? That is actually sage brush. Under that snow, there are several species of grass that elk find quite palatable. At least 2 species of fescues, a gramma, and a sedge or two.

4CCA9C16-07A1-4A01-8FC3-296480DF6DA91.jpeg

This elk was in a stand of Quercus gambelii, also a tree species in the interior west. I can understand how you may confuse this one with a shrub, but it is classified as a tree species. If you try to hunt, shoot, or pack elk out of a stand of Gambel's oak you probably will not forget it.

IMG_20221020_091634017.jpg

This elk was shot in a mixed stand of Spruce, Subalpine fir, lodgepole and aspen, those are trees. Lots of grasses, mostly pine grass, some sedges again, 2 species of timothy, and likely even a poa or three. While this is a much wetter site than the above pictures, there is clearly no alfalfa anywhere near this place. Would be tough to get the permitting in designated wilderness to clear that area for alfalfa, divert the nearby creek for irrigation, and doubtful the required farm equipment for the job would be allowed.

IMG_4064.JPG

If you need any further clarification on what alfalfa looks like or you're unfamiliar with the varied habitats that elk call home, by all means, don't be afraid to ask. I'm here to help, in particular with the clueless and for those that are much better at shooting their mouths than elk.
those are some nice bulls.

those are some nice bulls.
Meh, not really.

The one that means the most to me is the raghorn in the oak. About 40 days prior I was in the hospital over night for the first time in my life. Blood clot in my leg and lung from COVID.

Earlier that season I shot my 2nd Wyoming bull moose as well. I almost reserved my tag for the following year, but decided, blood clots or not, I was going to hunt moose.

IMG_4507.JPG

Last edited:
Kenetrek Boots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
george84
Back