Kenetrek Boots

Any HVAC installers on this forum?

MTGunner

Thinking of installing Trane heat pump and need information on electrical wiring. Will have to provide 50 amp service to a disconnect #8 or #6 THHN or THWN. QUESTION IS 3 wire or 4 wire? MTG

6-2 THHN. Is this a standard ducted split system or package unit? If either one, you only need 2 conductors and a ground if this is a standard residential install. If it's commercial, or you're lucky enough to have 3 phase to your house, some homes in my hometown do, you'll need 6-3 THHN. This will work as long as the wire distance isn't longer than normal.

Last edited:
6-2 THHN. Is this a standard ducted split system or package unit? If either one, you only need 2 conductors and a ground if this is a standard residential install. If it's commercial, or you're lucky enough to have 3 phase to your house, some homes in my hometown do, you'll need 6-3 THHN. This will work as long as the wire distance isn't longer than normal.
Just to add, how far away from the panel do you have to run? If it's a fair bit may have to upsize but not normally required unless it's the opposite side of the house or something

Bigjay, I will pull in 6/3 for the service. I do my own wiring and will cost materials and sweat equity. Good ‘nuff! Thanks for the input. MTG

Thinking of installing Trane heat pump and need information on electrical wiring. Will have to provide 50 amp service to a disconnect #8 or #6 THHN or THWN. QUESTION IS 3 wire or 4 wire? MTG
I was thinking of replacing the 30yr old AC with a heat pump. We are about the same latitude. Any concerns about heating in winter?

Bigjay, I will pull in 6/3 for the service. I do my own wiring and will cost materials and sweat equity. Good ‘nuff! Thanks for the input. MTG
Nothing wrong with having a spare wire. Hell, it'll keep you from having to tape up the neutral🤣

I was thinking of replacing the 30yr old AC with a heat pump. We are about the same latitude. Any concerns about heating in winter?
Depending on how cold it gets in your region, I'd recommend a gas furnace as a secondary heat source if you're in a cold climate. Warmer climates, electric heat as a backup works well, but some type of auxiliary heat will be needed unless you're in Miami

Depending on how cold it gets in your region, I'd recommend a gas furnace as a secondary heat source if you're in a cold climate. Warmer climates, electric heat as a backup works well, but some type of auxiliary heat will be needed unless you're in Miami
that’s my thought. Most of the cost difference is in installation. I have a furnace to supplement. Thr winter nat gas bills are steep here and nat gas is cheap now. .

As the outside temperature drops, so does the efficiency and it's ability to heat. mtmuley
Yeah, I understand, I just can’t get hard data on the drop in efficiency. I’ve looked around but can’t find it. My weather is probably like yours. Avg temp for a whole winter month may be 25dg but days vary from 0 to 40. Last year it only got really cold (below 0) once. The year before it was more common (3-4 times). A very crude estimation is I can probably save $50-100 for 4 months every year. And I tend to estimate on conservative side. Might be able to save more if I tell the family to just put on another sweater. 😆

If you already have a furnace, and your installer is willing to use it, then I would absolutely add a heat pump to the furnace. Efficiency has a lot of variables, some pertain to the equipment, some to the environment some to the construction of your home, it's hard to give a solid figure. I haven't messed with residential work in some time, but would say that below 30degrees was when I would see heat pump capacity start to dwindle quickly. A properly setup dual fuel heat pump is a great way to go, no extra sweaters needed. My in laws in NH have a water source heatpump which is fantastic, no auxiliary heat needed, but initial install costs are tremendous, probably not cost effective for you.

We have a Yotul gas fireplace in our living room. Should supplement if it gets cold like last winter. House is all electric heat other than gas Yotul. MTG

50 amp seems like alot of power. How big is your HP?

Haven’t even talked to installer. But, looked over two other residents with Trane heat pumps. Both had a 50 amp disconnect. Thinking perhaps a 4 or 5 ton unit. Bth of which may call for 50 amps at the disconnect.

Warmer, I am aware of this. Size the wire to the circuit breaker. 50 amp, #6 THHN or THWN. I install everything in conduit. Thank you for your input.

Haven’t even talked to installer. But, looked over two other residents with Trane heat pumps. Both had a 50 amp disconnect. Thinking perhaps a 4 or 5 ton unit. Bth of which may call for 50 amps at the disconnect.
I'd call a contractor for a quote, have them do a load calculation so you get the right sized unit. Can make a big difference in the summer. Kind of a dick move, but eff em, most resi sales guys are shady bastards

I'd call a contractor for a quote, have them do a load calculation so you get the right sized unit. Can make a big difference in the summer. Kind of a dick move, but eff em, most resi sales guys are shady bastards

Its cause they're all piecework so they look to do the fastest, shittiest job they can in the least amount of time lol

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back