Lost in the Woods - Mental recharge season

We have played cat and mouse with this bull all morning. We are letting him settle and doing our mid day mountain feed. Other bulls keep popping off too. We will see what happens.

Closest I got was 110, but ran out of good stalking real estate. My buddy was pulling him in slowly, but he was being timid. I also think his cows had already moved on so he wanted to stay with them!IMG_2111.jpeg

The unfortunate thing about running live threads and not being afraid of transparency means I have to tell you when I suck too.

I spent the last 24 hours looking for a bull I shot and it’s not looking good. I’m going to continue tonight and tomorrow to make sure.

Based off every indication so far it’s not looking mortal, but I’m just making sure.

I was out calling after a giant rain storm and a rag came in to 40 yards. I thought to myself that maybe it’s time to take a bird in hand and move on to my mule deer hunt. (I’m the worst trophy hunting and get an itchy trigger finger). So I shot him, but everything just seemed off. Hardly any penetration, he never bedded within 750 yards (last blood), and grid searching hasn’t produced anything.

To add insult to injury after I shot I had two tank elk come into the same meadow I shot my bull and scream in front of me.

Part of me wonders if the two mature bulls being in there and lots of commotion pushed my elk out.

Here are the two big elk

IMG_2153.jpegIMG_2154.jpeg

The top one was an absolute tank. One of the largest bodies I’ve ever seen.

The second one looked younger, but was a freak. He was a 9x7 and his length and mass on everything was exceptional.

Also while walking the 5 mile hike back to camp, in the darkest of the night, we saw what looked like it was something reentering the earth’s atmosphere.
I took a video that is cool, but here is a screen shot.

IMG_2157.jpeg

A few other random pics

IMG_2156.jpegIMG_2155.jpeg

All and all I feel sick. I hate wounding animals or non-recoveries.

I practice way too hard to have it happen.
I’m gonna keep searching my tail off, take some extra time, shoot my bow, and then get back after it.

Man a bummer! Keep after it! That top bull is a tank!
I finally found a spot in the unit where they are screaming and I don’t think many people step foot in. The quality is there.

Interesting ethical decision
I agree and I fully expected a comment like this. One portion of hunters will say if they drew blood they punch the tag. Another portion will search as much as they can and make a determination. Then the last portion don’t care and just keep going no matter how many they wound.

What I can at least tell you is I will always go above and beyond to check and then make the determination based off what I find. It’ll end up being about two days of searching by the time I’m done and that’s with:
- minimal penetration
- blood color (reads muscle)
- distance traveled with no beds
- grid searching results so far

I’m very convinced he’s out bedded with a cow or two right now waiting for the sun to go down.

I tent to hug the shoulder a little too tight with my bow…. doesn’t work too well with elk.

I finally found a spot in the unit where they are screaming and I don’t think many people step foot in. The quality is there.

I agree and I fully expected a comment like this. One portion of hunters will say if they drew blood they punch the tag. Another portion will search as much as they can and make a determination. Then the last portion don’t care and just keep going no matter how many they wound.

What I can at least tell you is I will always go above and beyond to check and then make the determination based off what I find. It’ll end up being about two days of searching by the time I’m done and that’s with:
- minimal penetration
- blood color (reads muscle)
- distance traveled with no beds
- grid searching results so far

I’m very convinced he’s out bedded with a cow or two right now waiting for the sun to go down.

I tent to hug the shoulder a little too tight with my bow…. doesn’t work too well with elk.
The amount of healed up broadheads I've found in shoulders is crazy. Crazy to see how tuff those animals are

No luck. Had some beautiful bulls come in while I was searching.

Back at camp, making a quick hearty meal, and prepping for tomorrow.

I’ve just about averaged 10 miles a day. I guess I’ll definitely be acclimated for Montana.

I’m going to shoot my bow at first light to make sure nothing is off (it’s not, I just sucked) then I’ll head back down and check one last time. After that I will go back after them.

IMG_2176.jpegIMG_2177.jpegIMG_2178.jpegIMG_2180.jpeg

IMG_2182.jpegIMG_2181.jpegIMG_2183.jpeg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back