PEAX Equipment

Any auto body guys here?

Redmt

Are there any auto body paint experts here? Short story is I want to get my truck repainted. It's been partially painted a couple different times assumedly with water base that is flaking. The original factory (oil base?) is fine except the roof. The right side front fender, both doors and the bed have been repainted all at different times and different shops. It all matches but some of it is flaking off. I'd like to have an oil based paint job. It's a 2000 F350 extended cab long bed Super Duty.

Not a pro auto-body guy but most paint in California now is "water based" but that water base is not like house paint (latex) that cleans up with just water. What you are asking is something any shop can do or if you go to You-tube University, you can do yourself. It will involve sanding the entire truck, repairing dents and dings, applying a primer/sealer, blocking (sanding) of the primer/sealer and paint. As long as the truck is one color and you don't change colors, you will be into it less than a good used truck.

Not a pro auto-body guy but most paint in California now is "water based" but that water base is not like house paint (latex) that cleans up with just water. What you are asking is something any shop can do or if you go to You-tube University, you can do yourself. It will involve sanding the entire truck, repairing dents and dings, applying a primer/sealer, blocking (sanding) of the primer/sealer and paint. As long as the truck is one color and you don't change colors, you will be into it less than a good used truck.
I've done a few paint jobs in years past. I'm just not into doing another one. The water based stuff even when professionally done has a short life span. The original factory paint that remains is still perfect after 25 years. The water base crap that was professionally done a few years ago is flaking off badly. I'd rather take it out of state and get a decent paint job. A good used 7.3 Power Stroke is upward of 30k so it's worth it to me to have it look pretty again.

Have you priced having it wrapped?
Depending on the reason someone is looking at repainting. If the paint is faded or just doesn't look good, it is something that could just be wrapped over, if it's peeling or cracking, you're going to run into high prices. I think a quality wrap is $2,500-$3,500 professionally done...

Between the cost of paint, and the prep time, it adds up incredibly fast.

I checked CA wrap $$ in 2023 they were advertising 4-6500 depending on what kind and size of vehicle. I'm guessing a long bed extended cab f350 would be well north of the 6500 guestimate.

I'm baffled at what a paint job cost when done professionally.
Have you every painted anything? Time, material, and equipment are crazy, paint and clear coat isn't cheap anymore either..just price a booth and a place to keep it...picked up a gallon of each and a gallon of primer and all the harderners all PPG and few consumables almost 2k.

OP if it isn't rusting I wouldn't worry about.

Have you every painted anything? Time, material, and equipment are crazy, paint and clear coat isn't cheap anymore either..just price a booth and a place to keep it...picked up a gallon of each and a gallon of primer and all the harderners all PPG and few consumables almost 2k.

OP if it isn't rusting I wouldn't worry about.
Do you want to paint another one?
It isn't rusting but looks like crap. It's my DD and want it to look nice.

I've a Police Officer friend who's resto'ing a white '75 Ford 250 4x4 Highboy with his 15 year old son. Body is in decent shape & the son does not want to paint it. The dad is a dang good dude & it'll be quality time spent with he and Pax.

Last edited:
Back