Antelope meat?

Anybody make hamburger out of antelope trim?? If so did you add any other meat to it?
I use plain beef fat I got from Albertsons. I generally do 20%. I also go to great lengths to getting the meat cooled right after harvesting and keep it as cold as possible. I found this affects taste of antelope compared to the days when I used to haul carcasses around or hang in trees. Hamburger especially can get strong if you don't cool the meat. I like it slightly frozen when making burger. Grinds easier.

I use plain beef fat I got from Albertsons. I generally do 20%. I also go to great lengths to getting the meat cooled right after harvesting and keep it as cold as possible. I found this affects taste of antelope compared to the days when I used to haul carcasses around or hang in trees. Hamburger especially can get strong if you don't cool the meat. I like it slightly frozen when making burger. Grinds easier.
I swear hide and temp for speed goats is everything.

I swear hide and temp for speed goats is everything.
It definitely is. The reason for that is when antelope are "alerted" to danger the adrenal glands pump adrenalin into the blood, heart speeds up and the internal heat rises to give antelope the energy to run. That process is what gives antelope the gamey taste people talk about. Shoot one that is resting is best way in my book. I will not shoot one that is running. Having said that though, to get back to your comment the sooner you get the hide off, the meat cooled, and kept cooled, the better off the meat tastes especially the hamburger.

I can't wait to go after speedgoats in a few days. Already seeing trophy grade bucks when I am out and about including one that hangs on FE Warren that has horns twice the height of ears which could make it an 18 incher.

Antelope is great as is but if you have to add something to the grind, mix in a nice applewood-smoked bacon for making burgers on the grill.

For an added bonus when you make your bacon antelope burgers, cover peach halves with melted butter and grill till caramelized, and add slices of the peaches to the burger along with fresh basil, garden tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese :)
Oh my gawd!!! I gotta try that.

Antelope as well as deer and elk are so lean you have to add some fat to it. I usually do about 3lbs of bacon ends and pieces to 15lbs of game meat.
Gives it just a hint of smokey flavor.
This is how we like it in our house.

Tq2mQTrl.jpg

I get what you're saying, but you don't have to add some fat to it. It is completely fine without it unless you cook the living hell out of it.
Yeah you "don't have to". Randy likes his completely lean. I like mine with some fat to it. I prefer to use beef fat over pork because pork fat seems to mess with my bowels too much and cause bloating more than beef fat does so that is what I use. Though I will be making sausage this year.

Doug, I would love having a beer with you some day!!!
Just give me advanced warning and I will give you my phone. I do not drink anymore and can't due to issues with liver and small bowel blockages I had. Don't want to risk even an ounce of alcohol except for what I use in cooking. I am always out and about doing something lately to try to stay active so need advanced warning. Maybe even set up a speedgoat hunt next year.

Seriously, who doesn't prefer it raw?

All jokes aside, I often chop up raw wild game with onions and balsamic vinegar. That stuff is bomb!

#Rawdog
My daughter, 8, about when she was 5 years old, started helping me process venison. Because she didn't have any influence about it being a positive or negative thing, I offered to eat some raw her first time helping. She loved it! Now when we process venison there are always a couple dishes of soy sauce, worchestershire, and other dipping sauces next to a plate of ultra thin sliced tenderloin or backstrap and it's gone almost as quick as I can slice it!

Back to the OP, I used to add pork or beef. I don't anymore. About 1/2 the time something always turned out "off" with the flavor. Don't know if we got bad fat, had some bad pieces of trim, or something g completely different. Since we stopped adding fat, we haven't had any issues with off flavors. N=3 years. So sample size is still not definitive on the additions causing the bad taste. But I don't see a need to go back. Just add coconut oil, avocado oil, butter, or bacon grease to the pot when we are cooking; depending on what type of meal calls for each particular type of oil.

And adrenaline it blows me away the people that chase them with pop shots till they fill that tag. They last 10 or so I’ve killed didn’t even know I was in the same zip code and on ice probably within 90 min they eat great
I've finished off more than a few on a B tag with a leg off of them. Ran plenty hard. Tasted no different. To be clear, I wasn't the first shooter. mtmuley

It definitely is. The reason for that is when antelope are "alerted" to danger the adrenal glands pump adrenalin into the blood, heart speeds up and the internal heat rises to give antelope the energy to run. That process is what gives antelope the gamey taste people talk about. Shoot one that is resting is best way in my book. I will not shoot one that is running. Having said that though, to get back to your comment the sooner you get the hide off, the meat cooled, and kept cooled, the better off the meat tastes especially the hamburger.

I can't wait to go after speedgoats in a few days. Already seeing trophy grade bucks when I am out and about including one that hangs on FE Warren that has horns twice the height of ears which could make it an 18 incher.
I was fortunate that the temp was in the low 80s, and the clouds kept the sun from cooking the critter in its hide. We had bumped it and it "jogged" about 50 yards, then stopped. Not a "bang-flop", but piled up in 20 yards. Dinner last night was very tasty - I'd have trouble saying elk is better.

I spent a lot of years applying in Oregon for tags, and nine years here in NM. Finally got one! Now that I am almost retired, the concept of pronghorn hunting as an NR as well as resident (in Idaho) is very appealing. Never could do it when I was raising my boys, but I may have discovered a new addiction.

David
NM

I’ve shot them after they have been chased for miles by other hunters and I’ve stalked them and shot them while feeding and they taste the same . The key is getting the hide off and on ice asap . If you do that it’ll be some of the best wild game you’ve ever had

Anyone make burgers? Do you need something to hold the burger into a patty?

I don't mix anything in, but would love a burger

Anyone make burgers? Do you need something to hold the burger into a patty?

I don't mix anything in, but would love a burger
I got a patty press that attaches to my grinder. Problem I found that if you don't use a little bit of fat that the meat does not hold together as well to go thru my press. I tried 10% by weight then went to 20% on following batch and liked that better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuntTalkMa’am
Back