Yeti GOBOX Collection

American prairie. What's the issue?

So a program that allows public access for hunting on private property. Does anyone on this thread have experience hunting on AP lands? Do they have a quota, a sign in system ,etc? Thanks.
Get on their website. I talked to someone that was part of managing the hunting. Turns out I couldn't hunt the part of APR I wanted to. Make sure you research first. mtmuley

Another convenient fact they choose to ignore….
Yup. Elk add too much value to the sales price of ranches or add too much cash flow to the price received from a hunting club lease, so they're not a problem, even if they have been the only known source of a positive Brucellosis test in Montana.

And let's face it, every group needs a boogeyman. For UPOM, its the APR and their Brucellosis-free bison.

The brucellosis concern is real. The draconian measures that APHIS has on producers for transmission are often-times big enough to cause producers to consider just selling.

However, any bison that is translocated must pass muster by both the State Veterinarian and APHIS. That means no bison with brucellosis can be transferred. The protocol around Yellowstone for moving bison takes about 7-10 years, IIRC. Those animals are tested more than any other in the world for Brucellosis.

Here's current statute: https://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/title_0810/chapter_0020/part_0010/section_0200/0810-0020-0010-0200.html#:~:text=(5) Except for a transfer,this section after the department
That's good, I guess. It assumes that the the incompetents in govt will do a good job checking. Montana is probabley better than a lot of states, BUT there are less. Unfortunately. The sad truth.

Yup. Elk add too much value to the sales price of ranches or add too much cash flow to the price received from a hunting club lease, so they're not a problem, even if they have been the only known source of a positive Brucellosis test in Montana.

And let's face it, every group needs a boogeyman. For UPOM, its the APR and their Brucellosis-free bison.
What is UPOM? and also APR??

Access ain't cast in stone. Mgmt reserves the right to change it's mind. As Tonto said...white man speak with forked tongue!!!

American Prairie is private land. Management can always change its mind at any time. Just like every private landowner. So far, American Prairie has allowed far more access than other private land in the surrounding area. Far more than the average amenity ranch owners who are buying up acreage for trophy properties rather than for agricultural production.

Access ain't cast in stone. Mgmt reserves the right to change it's mind. As Tonto said...white man speak with forked tongue!!!
So, please point out where AP is changing their mind on access and hunting. They continue to EXPAND hunting opportunities.

This ram (that my brother and I found for a NR hunter last year) would have been inaccessible if not for access provided by AP.

54606.jpeg

So, please point out where AP is changing their mind on access and hunting. They continue to EXPAND hunting opportunities.

This ram (that my brother and I found for a NR hunter last year) would have been inaccessible if not for access provided by AP.

54606.jpeg
PN is Type 2 Block Management. The Two Crow is Type 2. Cow Island is Type 1. Blue Ridge is Type 1 but requires a special drawing. Dry Fork is Type 2. Ragland Bench is Type 1. Timber Creek is Type 1.White Rock is Type 2. Wild Horse is Type 2, and the 73 is Type 2.

Thousands of acres, many of which opened up access to previously inaccessible public parcels.

Pretty tough to find any other contingent owning near as much land that allows even close to as much access.

That's good, I guess. It assumes that the the incompetents in govt will do a good job checking. Montana is probabley better than a lot of states, BUT there are less. Unfortunately. The sad truth.
At testing bison...?

Man good thing we test all the elk.

So do we need a new thread about pushing legislatively for a wild free ranging herd in Montana? Colorado? Wyoming? All of the above and others? Utah is doing something right, and there are lessons there.

Last edited:
So do we need a new thread about pushing legislativy for a wild free ranging herd in Montana? Colorado? Wyoming? All of the above and others? Utah is doing something right, and there are lessons there.
Fire it up. I’d read that. I have some strong, if not fully informed opinions about bison’s place on the landscape. I’d be curious to know how states other than Montana manage their presence. I’m sure there’d be a wealth of knowledge to be had from folks here (along with some very poorly informed conjecture, of course).

On the Blackfeet Nation releasing bison in NW Montana:

Back