AFRICA! Bucket List nears... September.

Budget for a single African trophy shoulder/euro, which one?

• Total voters
Wow! @BrentD ! Done with style! Nice muzzleloader harvest! Great pics!

Great thoughts and pics everyone. Agree, the fallow deer are not on my radar for an African Safari hunt. Happened to be one in my price range that roams the area. @fishing4sanity , NE mountain and coastal/lowlands of South Africa. Referral from a Hunt Talk member last year and the reviews here and on African Hunting forums appear to fit his referral for enjoying the experience.

The only real bummer I've been advised, I'm unable to have the game processed and shipped home? Is that a SA government directive, Outfitter practice, or an import issue? Still researching. Figure the transport time would also be a factor.

It's $1300 for the Kudu. They have a few others that roam the areas though prices routed beyond Kudu upwards $2400+ (Nyala, Lechwe, Waterbuck). The others listed here are under $1000. I'd really like to focus on a kudu however - heck, it's nice to have this decision for a challenge. I believe, @Dave N thought, If a very nice Kudu happens to cross paths, I may fill that tag otherwise, I really like the Blesbuck, Impala, and Springbuck. Wouldn't mind the Blesbuck shoulder mount w/ a cape remainder to lay over the side of the couch/other ideas. @Werty , We heard similar. If I want to return, I'll have to keep my wallet under lock! Haha! Wife will euro my skull and collect my life insurance as personal compensation if I let the $ fly... haha!
Nice Kudu mount, @TheGrayRider !
My hunt partner is dead focused on a nice warthog, euro style! @Salmonchaser , I sent him a copied image of yours. That looks fantastic! You've run a few rounds in Africa from your collection!

@406LIFE and @WildWill , best to your adventures! I've shared this is a once in a life type journey and repeatedly informed I'll be back - Something about hunting the African safari. We'll see. As of now, I think this will open advetures to various locations around the world. Least that's what overtime $ will shape. :)

Keep the pics and ideas coming!

The only real bummer I've been advised, I'm unable to have the game processed and shipped home?
If you mean the meat, then yes. USDA regs prevent it. Also, the conservation model in Africa usually has an agreeemnts, formal or informal, to provide meet to local communities. Each country is slightly different, but the base ideas are very similar.

If you mean hides and horns, you'll need to do a bit more research. Each country is different on export requirements, CITES reqs are different for each as well, and depending on species US Customs might require specific paperwork. Best to have a service to help. I recommend dip and ship.

Thanks, but that is not a muzzleloader. It's an 1874 Sharps #3 in .45-2.6" (aka .45-100).

I did all my animals in Euro style. Saves money and space, and I just like it better that way.
I just read up on your Sharps. Oops. Fantastic looking boom stick!

if you aren’t already, definitely consider adding zebra. When we went, it was by far the most enjoyable animal over there for me to hunt. Those old stallions are really smart and cagey. They were just as sneaky and smart as any North American game I’ve hunted so far. They’re just in high abundance over there making it easier than here. They make a really striking rug or pedestal mount too.

if you aren’t already, definitely consider adding zebra. When we went, it was by far the most enjoyable animal over there for me to hunt. Those old stallions are really smart and cagey. They were just as sneaky and smart as any North American game I’ve hunted so far. They’re just in high abundance over there making it easier than here. They make a really striking rug or pedestal mount too.
One of if not the most challenging animals I hunted over there. Cagey is the perfect one word description.

I know most people wouldn't do this, but you can pick up a zebra hide in the Johannesburg airport cheaper than you can kill one and get it tanned for. I was going to grab one on my last trip, we didn't have time, do to running to make our connection.

That's somewhat the plan however, to focus on a specific animal the PH and his tracker need to know my main objective and a secondary unless I had unlimited $$$. Since my budget has me set, I need two trophy animals. Or the Kudu. The rest I can likely take two w/ the king as the one for the taxidermist.
Kudu has my vote.

Wow! I merely related them to hunting feral horses just with a stylish coat. Naïve though in general I didn't realize they're a challenging hunt. Zebras run about $1200. I've been to a few friend houses with a Zebra cape. They certainly stand out!

Curious, when viewing a "Taxidermy Price List", is "Skull Bleach" basically a euro w/o the mount? What's the difference between "Backskin" and "Flatskin" for tanning?

I guess the question is, “What’s the goal?”

What if we shifted this to Alaska? You had enough money for a Kodiak brown bear hunt, or a wolf and caribou. This is hypothetical. I know it’s not one to one. Is it about the ultimate trophy or the experience? Quality or quantity?

The quoted price for Kudu is pretty good and they all look big. I passed on a number of them and then started to feel I was going to end up like Hemingway. Hell we had one stalk busted by a bunch of Giraffe. How the hell do you stumble into a 16 foot tall animal? I did take a zebra that had been wounded by the prior group. The hide is pretty cool.
The meat harvested goes in several directions. Local indigenous people, the ranch we hunt has been in the same family since 1820. Their work force has many who trace their history back that far as well. Pretty neat people. In any event, they were very happy with most of the game and we ate fresh what ever we shot that day. Eland, Nyala, Bush buck and Kudu all eat very very well. My guess is that is what you’ll be eating.
Our outfitters children go to boarding school about 90 minutes from home. The school gets meat as well. Some gets sold for Biltong. The very best part of the whole trip is Catherine wants to know when I’m taking her back to Africa. She had a great time. If I have to choose next time I’d probably take a Nyala instead of a Kudu.
Have a great trip…

Attachments

• PHOTO-2022-04-26-12-17-34.jpeg
    PHOTO-2022-04-26-12-17-34.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6174.jpeg
    IMG_6174.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 21
In my opinion, the answer is easy, and it's kudu. Is your limitation on one extra animal based on time as well as budget? I ask because in a lot of places, a kudu might cost as much as two or three of your other choices combined (taxidermy and shipping notwithstanding).

Where I hunted last year, a kudu was $1200. Impala, springbuck, warthog, blesbok, and mountain reedbuck were all $350. If my choice was one kudu vs. three others, I'd probably choose the three if time weren't a factor.

kudu or a bushbuk/warthog combo. Don't shoot the first one you see, hold out for nice ones drag it out a bit. :D

Save the taxidermy, go euro, and have more $$$ to play with.

Good luck! I'm excited for you. Africa is a pretty special place.

Curious, when viewing a "Taxidermy Price List", is "Skull Bleach" basically a euro w/o the mount? What's the difference between "Backskin" and "Flatskin" for tanning?
Yes on the skull. A flatskin is the whole hide up to the neck. Backskin is literally the back half only. Usually backskins are only done with the leftovers if a guy keeps the cape for a full mount. Here's a example from a waterbuck.Waterbuck-backskin.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jyoder
Back