AFRICA! Bucket List nears... September.

Budget for a single African trophy shoulder/euro, which one?

• Total voters

Sytes

The time nears. Fly out September 14th. Safari hunt concludes September 22nd.

Budget has been pinched down to ensure tips and all other known incidentals are accounted. If you had the opportunity for one of the following, Which would it be?
The Kudu is a fraction over my $ though... maybe I can stretch that benjamin a bit... Many other great choices!
Mountain concession:

Mountain Reedbuck
1723323891713.png

Springbuck
1723323933314.png

Blesbuck
1723323983627.png

Warthog
1723324030713.png

Fallow Deer
1723324097042.png

Coastal lodge:

Bushbuck
1723324236036.png

Duiker
1723324534607.png

Kudu
1723324759334.png

Impala
1723324948501.png

I would wait and decide which one gave you the best memory of the hunt. Pick that one.
That's somewhat the plan however, to focus on a specific animal the PH and his tracker need to know my main objective and a secondary unless I had unlimited $$$. Since my budget has me set, I need two trophy animals. Or the Kudu. The rest I can likely take two w/ the king as the one for the taxidermist.

I'm heading back next June for a kudu and bushbuck and maybe a few others. Of all the animals I saw in Africa only two plains game animals stood out to me as distinctly worthy of a shoulder mount over a euro and flat skin that being the kudu and gemsbok. Of course it's a eye of the beholder type situation

Of those listed, Kudu.

I wouldn't hunt fallow in Africa, I'd keep that for it's native lands in Europe.

I leave Monday for four weeks in Moz, RSA, and Namibia. Buff, croc, and hippo are on the menu. We'll see what else shows up.

Having lived in Kenya, I’ve got a sweet spot for a bushbuck. The blesbok has an amazing hide (and such an amazing comeback story from near extinction). Either will be amazing memorials to your adventure (and easier to display than a kudu)

Go for the Kudu, it’s like the elk of Africa in my mind. And it’s always been my #1 dream African game. After that on your list bushbuck, springbuck blesbuck, and impala in no particular order. I wouldn’t dare shoot a fallow in Africa. You can get those any day of the week in Texas and a dozen other states.

I’ve never been to Africa, and it’s always been a dream. However, I was recently given a 10 day safari in the Zambezi delta in Mozambique that’s booked for next July and can’t wait. The anticipation is killer! Best of luck to you, I hope it’s everything you’ve dreamed of! Do us a good write up when you get back!

Kudu was my dream animal on the first trip, so I'm partial to a shoulder mount of that one. Impala and warthog look great as euro mounts. If a kudu doesn't work out I'd lean towards the bushbuck and springbuck. Where are you headed?

I'm really glad I got a Blessbuck. When I go again I'll shoot a couple warthogs. I went looking for the spiral horns, Bushbuck, Nyala, Kudu and Eland. Got those. Decided to go with Euro mounts and kept hunting. I think the Warthog makes a great Euro. The Euro mounts look great and re allocating the money from taxidermy allowed me to keep hunting. 10 euro mounts and a couple hides came home in a box smaller than what I would have needed for one mounted Kudu.
Any of your choices are good, all are classic Africa. Have a great trip.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jyoder
Back