Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

7x57 bullet weight

Benfromalbuquerque

I’m helping a friend work up a 7x57 load for mule deer this fall. I’m really excited to do this cartridge as it’s the predecessor of 30-06; we’re working the tools of the ancient lost arts here. The gun is a Mauser marked 1893 and carbine length. Buddy got a box of S&B 140gr to cook off for some brass and I picked up a box of 160gr Speer Grand Slam to reload.

I got the 160gr prior to knowing it was a carbine. So now thinking we can maybe safely get those to 2,400fps. There are some light bullets in .284 like Barnes 110 which could nudge 3,000fps. My question to the community is has anyone here reloaded 7x57 and am I setting my goals beyond reason for this old rifle?

I know they're crazy looking but I think these are what they were made to shoot.
funny-looking.png

In our Ruger American then shoot ok but the 140 sstx are by far the best.

last load from my hunting partner who is much better at these sort of things than I am.
The 140 gr moved around alot. but it depends on what shape your rifle is in.
Ended up using 160 gr btsp. 46 gr of 350. It's been a while, so I dont remember
the velocity. He cut the barrel down which brot the vel down some. But I thnk it
was sending them around2600. Just guess at this point.
Put on a syn stock. so a lot of variables. finally got the bedding set. That seemed to help
a lot.
It was a fun project, but have moved on. I still take it out of the safe for deer huntin /w him
but have eaten my last rutty buck, so mostly just take it for a walk. Haven't shot it in prob 4 yrs.

If it’s a Model 1893 Mauser action please do not hot rod it! Keep the loads very mild and the pressures low, it is a 131 year old piece of 1800’s technology that probably had a rough life.
This

SAAMI says 51,000 PSI max and that is honest.

Original twist rate was 1 in 220mm (1 in 8.66 inches)

When I was shooting a 7x57 the bullet I found to shoot best was a 154gr Hornady RN. Was not any kind of a hotrod but did the job very well. Tat 7x57 was a Ruger m77 when they first came out! I'd think loads for a mod 93 would not be so good with modern loads.

Alot of time the throat lenght will determine which weight bullet shoots best. Alot of 7x57s have long throats to accommodate the original 175 gr load. So it may not like the excessive jump with the 140s. You'll just have to try and see how they shoot.

Mine are all modern commercial guns and have not been to picky. I have been leaning towards settling on the 154 gr SST for deer and antelope with mine.

Good luck on load development. I really like shooting 7x57s.

This

SAAMI says 51,000 PSI max and that is honest.

Original twist rate was 1 in 220mm (1 in 8.66 inches)
That’s even faster twist than I thought. I’ll try to make the 160s work and settle for 2,400fps as good enough. Those 101 hammers would be wicked at 3,400fps, but likely exceed 51,000 to get there. Hammer does offer 120s which could be the difference we need with seating depth less of a concern over the same grain Barnes.

It depends on the shot ranges you are shooting for, but 2400 at muzzle is fairly slow to have full expansion at 200 yds or so. The carbine length is going to make it harder to get good speed.

I'd consider 120s.

That’s even faster twist than I thought. I’ll try to make the 160s work and settle for 2,400fps as good enough. Those 101 hammers would be wicked at 3,400fps, but likely exceed 51,000 to get there. Hammer does offer 120s which could be the difference we need with seating depth less of a concern over the same grain Barnes.
That could handle virtually any 284 Hammer. I would go to the website and shop 284 bullets based on their recommended twist rate. They promise their bullets will expand down to 1800, even more so with the newer variants. If you are keeping the rifle original, we need to be honest about how far one can shoot with the iron sights. Downrange velocity may not even be a variable.

Hammers are really fun because their design makes them go really fast without building up higher pressures. Really a good fit for this project.

For PA white tail & a recoil shy daughter, I built a large ring Mauser in 7X57.
Using 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and RL17.
Has accounted for 3 deer so far.

For PA white tail & a recoil shy daughter, I built a large ring Mauser in 7X57.
Using 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and RL17.
Has accounted for 3 deer so far.
Those ballistic tips look good. Get those moving 2,800fps without pressure and call it good for iron sights.

I had a Ruger #1 that shot 140 gr Accbonds into consistent 1.25" groups. One rifle I shouldn't have let get away.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrentR
Back