6.8 Western Accuracy Expectations Unrealistic?

I have a Browning X bolt western hunter chambered in 6.8 Western. Scope is a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 with the Browning integrated scope mounts. I am tearing my hair out (figuratively, I shave my head) over the accuracy of this thing. I've had if for over a year now. I've shot 340 rounds through it, including following Browning's recommended barrel break in process. Used 3 types of factory ammo from and the BEST I can get at 100 yards is 1.5-2 inch groups. At 200 yards I get 4in groups all day long.

I've remounted and checked torque screws (FYI-those nice little fix it sticks torque stix? Don't trust them. My set was torquing at 30% less than my digital wheeler gunsmithing torque wrench). I made some alterations to the stock fore end because it came from the factory with a big glob of epoxy touching the barrel in front of the rectangular lug so now the barrel is free floated all the way to the action. I have a different scope coming so I can test out another scope to see if the Leupold is the problem (I don't know if I trust the adjustments to track correctly). I've shot with front and rear sandbags from prone and from shooting table with similar results.

Am I ever going to see MOA or sub-MOA groups with this gun without hand loading? Am I expecting too much? Did I drink the Kool aid of the "hot, super accurate, high BC" cult and get burned? Do I have a lemon? Time to move on?

Did you ever reach out to Browning? Not sure how they handle these things, or if they have an accuracy guarantee but it doesn't hurt to ask. Either have them take a look, have a gunsmith spin on a new barrel (after also taking a look) or send it down the road.

I had a Bergarbage 300 win mag that just never did shoot, until I had a local gunsmith touch it up with a reamer. Had to send that one down the road after finally verifying it would shoot.

That's the worst thing about the firearms world - you can't verify it's a shooter before buying, and once you do you're at the mercy of the manufacturer.

In what order, and what are you torquing the action screws at?
18in-lbs using wheeler digital torque wrench. There are front and rear brackets and made sure they are indeed on the front and rear. Tightened with the recommended X pattern (upper right, bottom left, upper left bottom right)

Also Browning stock inlets are dangerously close to the barrel. I'd also take a look at how you're shooting...bench vs bipod, cheek weld, etc. Any pressure on the stock may be pressing on the barrel though it wouldn't probably be a predictable grouping more of a flyer situation

One of the downsides to the 6.8 and other new high BC cartridges is the limited number of factory loads available. I've had a couple rifles that it took 5 or more tries with different loads/manufacturers to find one that shot well. Have you tried copper vs jacketed, up and down the available bullet weights in the loads you've shot? Looks like you're stuck with Winchester/Browning ammo, but I'd try a box of each load offering. If you're into hundreds of rounds on this gun, another 3 or 4 boxes isn't too much more to add on.

Also Browning stock inlets are dangerously close to the barrel. I'd also take a look at how you're shooting...bench vs bipod, cheek weld, etc. Any pressure on the stock may be pressing on the barrel though it wouldn't probably be a predictable grouping more of a flyer situation
I took a dremel tool and fine grit sandpaper to the stock and made it so I cannot grab the barrel and stock and squeeze anything to touch. The side tolerances are still tight (not touching) but only a couple paper thicknesses apart.

Have you proven you’re capable of shooting other lightweight magnums tight?
My other rifles include a 3006 browning A bolt.With basic federal fusion Ammo I can get the 3006 to group moa or better at 100 and 200. That's why I was expecting at least that out of the 6.8

I have the same gun and have had pretty much exact same results. I have messed with the stock, re mounted scopes, tried new scopes, shot with and without muzzle brake, tried 3 types of ammo and it finally now shoots good. I have found The only ammo the gun will shoot accurately is browning long range pro 175 grain. My girlfriend has been practicing with it and has been shooting 3/4 moa groups to 500 yards. Haven’t tried any further. This is shooting prone with a bipod and bag. I had all but given up on this year but now it shoots good. I would definitely try the 175 grain browning if they are currently available.
Good luck don’t give up on it yet

I have the same gun and have had pretty much exact same results. I have messed with the stock, re mounted scopes, tried new scopes, shot with and without muzzle brake, tried 3 types of ammo and it finally now shoots good. I have found The only ammo the gun will shoot accurately is browning long range pro 175 grain. My girlfriend has been practicing with it and has been shooting 3/4 moa groups to 500 yards. Haven’t tried any further. This is shooting prone with a bipod and bag. I had all but given up on this year but now it shoots good. I would definitely try the 175 grain browning if they are currently available.
Good luck don’t give up on it yet
Do you still have the muzzle brake on it or did you find without it was more accurate? I have it on my rifle currently. I've been using the 175gr browning long range but also have some 162 gr copper impacts and a box of 165 winchester accubonds. I might test out the copper impacts and accubonds again to see if groupings are similar. From what I remember last year I settled on the 175s because those were the most consistent back then, but I've changed a lot (stock, remounted scope, etc.) since ammo testing.

I didn’t notice any difference with or without muzzle brake so I am leaving it on. I had absolutely terrible groups with the 165 accubonds I also tried the 170 silver tips and they were no better. I haven’t tried the 162 so I can’t speak for them.

I have a 6.8 Western Browning xbolt speed SR and it shoots well under MOA with 165 ablr and 175 tgk load. On the 6.8W FB groups all of the guys report excellent accuracy with the xbolts in 6.8. It could be you just got a fussy rifle or the optic. I would say the 175 Browning load seems to be most accurate on average in most reports. Have cleaned the barrel or does some fouling improve? Is there any consistency in the groups like double grouping, horizontal stringing, etc that may give a clue?

Lou

I find the browning xbolt triggers lousy, love the rifles but LOUSY triggers. I have two Browning's and a mod 70 in 300 wsm, the Winchester is easily adjusted down to 1lb, very smooth, love the thing.

Take it to a gun smith and have them look it over. Everything else is just speculation. They look at so many rifles that things jump out to them that the normal shooter/hunter just doesn’t have enough experience to see.

I have attached some pics of the most recent groups. All I did was put new rings and scope on it and shot. These are by far the closest and most consistent groups I've gotten out of the rifle. With that said, these groups are still above MOA at 100 yards. I've got 3 boxes of Choice Ammo handloads coming as a final test before I make a final judgement on this rifle.

Attachments

• 20240818_134734.jpg
    20240818_134734.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20240818_140204.jpg
    20240818_140204.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek