300 win mag. Accubond bullet weight thoughts for elk..

Ghillieman

Wondering preferred nosler accubond bullet weights for elk. Want to be able to shoot out to 500 yrds.

Generally safe bet to have minimum 1500 ft lbs at impact to take down an elk.

Quick search on ballistics app shows most 300 Win Mag ammo easily meets that at 500 yards (180 gn and up).

Would personally start with 180 gn Nosler Ballistic tips. Pick out a few bullets you like and then hit the range and see if your gun agrees with you.

I shoot a 180gr AB out of a 300wm. I've taken animals at out to 700 (elk at 400 and 575). The bullet performed perfectly. I shot my ibex back in January at 650 and had a pass through of both shoulder blades. Obviously, a 300lb ibex isn't an elk, but that'll give you an idea. Its a great shooting bullet that performs great.

You have a range to 500?

Reel that distance in a couple hundred yards and grab whichever bullet is available. Loaded factory ammo using either 165 or 180 Accubond is a tough find. Consider Federal Terminal Ascent, Norma BondStrike (sounds kinky), Federal ammo with Swift Scirocco or Partition.

Ok, I’m probably gonna get flamed here but I’m old and thick skinned so…

When I see these questions pop up about wanting to take elk out to 5,6,700 yards my first thought is always why?

Maybe because I just enjoy “hunting” more than “shooting”; maybe because I used to bow hunt a lot more than rifle; maybe because I have seen from others what can go wrong at that distance; but when when I see elk at these distances my first thought is always “sweet! Game on, the stalk now really begins!”

Not bashing the OP or anyone else who likes LRH, just trying to get a feel for “why” you wouldn’t want to try to get closer?

Excuse me, time to suit up with the Nomex…

When I see these questions pop up about wanting to take elk out to 5,6,700 yards my first thought is always why?

Maybe because I just enjoy “hunting” more than “shooting”; maybe because I used to bow hunt a lot more than rifle; maybe because I have seen from others what can go wrong at that distance; but when when I see elk at these distances my first thought is always “sweet! Game on, the stalk now really begins!”

Not bashing the OP or anyone else who likes LRH, just trying to get a feel for “why” you wouldn’t want to try to get closer?

I think its a preference. I like having the option to shoot farther if needed. I hate archery. I get invited every year to go archery elk hunting and I reply with a "nope". I've seen what can go wrong with archery. I have no problem with other people doing it and I've killed animals with a bow and crossbow. I can understand why other people love it, but I don't. I use a crossbow here in SC for a few weeks every year because it allows me to get out in the woods earlier, but when people tell me they are going archery hunting I ask the same questions you do above "Why?". I mean it as a joke to give my buddies a hard time, but its not my thing.

One of the things I love about hunting is you have the option to hunt how you'd like. If you want to hunt with a bow, crossbow, air rifle, shotgun, rifle, sling shot, blowgun, altalt you can find your niche and do that. When friends ask me where they should go hunting I'll ask them "what do you want to hunt and how do you want to hunt it". I personally think its a great thing that some guys love archery and some guys love LR bc it means more hunters and that is always a positive thing.

Hunt the way you enjoy hunting as long as it's legal.

You have a range to 500?

Reel that distance in a couple hundred yards and grab whichever bullet is available. Loaded factory ammo using either 165 or 180 Accubond is a tough find. Consider Federal Terminal Ascent, Norma BondStrike (sounds kinky), Federal ammo with Swift Scirocco or Partition.
My range is out to 600.....metal....very fortunate..

Because my ass is old and if I have an opportunity to reach out a "touch one" I'll sure as hell do it vs not get it. It too am a "hunter" hence the Ghillie suit. Nothing like sneaking up on em. Western terrain my not be as kind to me and a little range gives me an insurance policy.

BTW I'm an archer too....

I think its a preference. I like having the option to shoot farther if needed. I hate archery. I get invited every year to go archery elk hunting and I reply with a "nope". I've seen what can go wrong with archery. I have no problem with other people doing it and I've killed animals with a bow and crossbow. I can understand why other people love it, but I don't. I use a crossbow here in SC for a few weeks every year because it allows me to get out in the woods earlier, but when people tell me they are going archery hunting I ask the same questions you do above "Why?". I mean it as a joke to give my buddies a hard time, but its not my thing.

One of the things I love about hunting is you have the option to hunt how you'd like. If you want to hunt with a bow, crossbow, air rifle, shotgun, rifle, sling shot, blowgun, altalt you can find your niche and do that. When friends ask me where they should go hunting I'll ask them "what do you want to hunt and how do you want to hunt it". I personally think its a great thing that some guys love archery and some guys love LR bc it means more hunters and that is always a positive thing.

Hunt the way you enjoy hunting as long as it's legal.
I enjoy both and like the option..

180. I no long own anything "magnum" but I have used a 300wm a lot in the past. That chambering seems to be made for 180 bullets.

@SCliving Outdoors, no I get the “too each their own” aspect, that’s exactly why I’m asking. I’m pretty finicky about what archery shots I will take too for the same reasons you’ve mentioned.

I guess was more so wondering at LR distances if it’s a conscious desire (for sake of a better word) to take that shot or just a thought of “I can’t get any closer” or a “just in case” aspect? I mean with me, and everything is up to the individual, banging metal at those distance is fun and challenging, but getting in a game animal’s kitchen (again my choice) is much more fun and challenging!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back