300 win mag. Accubond bullet weight thoughts for elk..

I have always believed that the best use of magnums of any kind is heavy bullets. Why? because a 300 win mag will handle a 200 gr bullet better than a 30-06! 30-06 bullet I use is 180gr, three elk with it in 3 shots. Not to awful bad! No doubt in my mind I could kill an elk with one shot and a 300 mag with a 130gr bullet. Just depends on where you place the bullet! Lighter bullet's traveling faster tend to break up sooner and that in itself put's a limit on available shots. Increase the bullet weight and reduce velocity a bit and it slows bullet break up and increases penetration by holding more weight. On the down side of bullet weight is it produces more recoil. You don't like recoil you won't want heavy bullets in a 300 mag. You want whatever bullet you use to kill an elk at 500 yds? On the flap of my 22 RF ammo it says, dangerous to 1 1/2 miles. So in theory with a very carefully placed shot from a 22 RF w/40 bullet should maybe kill you an elk! That of course is simply a guess and I would not attempt it nor would I attempt a 500 yds shot at an elk with any cartridge.

One real advantage to the 500 yd shot is that I have never heard anyone say they missed at that range or that they wounded at that range. All shot's at game at 500yds seem to be one shot and down! Much better than the 150yd shot that took two shots!

I can’t believe it, but I’m agreeing with Don on this one (at least partially). If I’m going 300 magnum then I’m leaning 200gr Accubond. If I’m going 180 then I’m probably using my 30-06. Truly just a mental exercise, as either one will do the trick.

The better question at this point is “which ammo can you find?” Especially if you are limited to factory ammo

I have always believed that the best use of magnums of any kind is heavy bullets. Why? because a 300 win mag will handle a 200 gr bullet better than a 30-06! 30-06 bullet I use is 180gr, three elk with it in 3 shots. Not to awful bad! No doubt in my mind I could kill an elk with one shot and a 300 mag with a 130gr bullet. Just depends on where you place the bullet! Lighter bullet's traveling faster tend to break up sooner and that in itself put's a limit on available shots. Increase the bullet weight and reduce velocity a bit and it slows bullet break up and increases penetration by holding more weight. On the down side of bullet weight is it produces more recoil. You don't like recoil you won't want heavy bullets in a 300 mag. You want whatever bullet you use to kill an elk at 500 yds? On the flap of my 22 RF ammo it says, dangerous to 1 1/2 miles. So in theory with a very carefully placed shot from a 22 RF w/40 bullet should maybe kill you an elk! That of course is simply a guess and I would not attempt it nor would I attempt a 500 yds shot at an elk with any cartridge.

One real advantage to the 500 yd shot is that I have never heard anyone say they missed at that range or that they wounded at that range. All shot's at game at 500yds seem to be one shot and down! Much better than the 150yd shot that took two shots!
Ive never shot ANY game at that range...just want to have the choice if necessary... these old bones...lol
Mid body straight up the leg...BAM

Anybody have AN OPINION on.....

Barnes VOR-TX Ammunition 300 Winchester Magnum 180 Grain TTSX Polymer Tipped Spitzer Boat Tail Lead-Free​

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back