Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

.22 for moose

giphy.gif

I'd like to see more of it. When you apply a little critical thinking to it, it's not such a crazy idea. If two bullets can each create a sufficient wound channel, what difference does it make if they're fired from different cartridges?

Wouldn't do it myself - but i think it shows the increased terminal performance of modern ammunition..... It really doesnt take a huge energy numbers to kill with good shot placement and proper bullets.

There's nothing like having a little extra margin though - it doesn't seem like there's a good reason to do it to me when so many other simply better options exist.

In the book "Into the Wild" I believe Chris McCandless writes about successfully (and illegally) killing an Alaskan Moose with a .22LR but then failing to preserve the meat and it all spoiled.

My dad shot every deer ( and lots) when I was growing up in the head with an open sight .22LR. Guy could shoot a dime off a fence post at 50 yards. I cant and wouldn't.

He always said growing up poor during the depression you couldn't afford guns and ammo. All he had was a .22. Learn to shoot or starve he said. Never left him.

My dad shot every deer ( and lots) when I was growing up in the head with an open sight .22LR. Guy could shoot a dime off a fence post at 50 yards. I cant and wouldn't.

He always said growing up poor during the depression you couldn't afford guns and ammo. All he had was a .22. Learn to shoot or starve he said. Never left him.
Grandpa told a similar story about the great depression.

There is nothing new under the sun. Those of us old enough to remember can recall the hoopla over the 17 Remington. At 4000fps muzzle velocity, it was supposed to kill anything on the planet with hydrostatic shock. This was before fast twists and long bullets. The 17 Rem had the BC of a brick.

I thank my lucky stars I never shelled out for a lifetime subscription to the rag that OL has become. It is a mystery to me that under the same covers you can read quality conservation work from Andrew McKean and drivel like the referenced piece. Five short years after Andrew's stint as EIC, we have contributors who bully young women to steal their BOAL.

BTW - My dad tells of killing deer with a .22 short back in the 1950's.

Is it attention seeking or challenging the fallacies that have been drilled into our heads as hunters?
I’m sure if he didn’t get any attention for his article and/or hunt, he wouldn’t have felt inclined to do it. I honestly could care less what caliber people shoot stuff with. It’s nothing new. Ego-centric attention seeking validation behavior is annoying though.

I’m going to stir the pot with a couple coworkers with this article. One has suddenly became convinced his 6.5 is inadequate for even deer and the other has guided a bunch of moose hunts and loves a 338 for everything
I’d take one well placed round with proper bullet for the situation out of that 22arc over a crappy 338 shot

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jawknee
Back