Caribou Gear Tarp

2024 UP Grouse Camp

Birdbander

I'll continue the grouse camp theme that TheGreek started, but fair warning, this one might not have the same high quality.

Our MN grouse camp was a bust both in bird numbers and 20241017_134102.jpg20241019_201104.jpg20241023_161828.jpg20241024_153055.jpg20241025_120926.jpgimagejpeg_0.jpgimagejpeg_0(2).jpg20241025_173447.jpgbelow average lodging. To top that week I started having car troubles north of Duluth which became worse by Ironwood and I barely made it to Marquette.

The cost & time to repair the car ate up the travel & incidental money for my trip to Maine, so canceled that.

I talked my friend & his son from Indiana into a UP Grouse camp, bought a new car and received permission from a friend to use his cabin.

We arrived yesterday afternoon late, enjoyed an evening of conversation with our host and rested from the drive.

This morning we hit a nearby cover moving several grouse and WC. My friend and his son each shot a grouse, and each of us shot at least one WC.

We hit a few covers throughout the day, only one of which didn't produce and bird encounters. We typically don't find a large number of birds per day so the 12 grouse snd 13 WC found was a good day.

Total numbers of birds for the day killed was 3 grouse and 6 WC.

Tomorrow we're going to take a road trip to the western end of the UP to start the day then work our way back.

Day 2 of grouse camp wasn't very exciting.

We took a big swing driving a couple of hours west to try some new ground. Unfortunately the locations we chose to put boots on the ground didn't offer up any birds.

After lunch we found a couple of small patches holding some WC. We only shot two and enjoyed some dog work.

The last cover of the day produced one beautiful red phase grouse that's going back Indiana with my friend.

Hunting closer to camp tomorrow and will try to remember to take photos.

Grouse seen in covers: 5
Road birds (none shot at): 4
WC seen: 3

Reactions: JCS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessie0718
Back