PEAX Equipment

2024 Season... Finally ready to talk about it!

wolfpup

I have licked my wounds and am ready to tell the story .. I think. Most bowhunters have had a circumstance like this at least that's what everybody tells me but it still doesn't make it better. Anyway, I was only able to squeeze in 4 days of actual hunting which is not enough for me but it is what it is. My dad had a cow muzzle tag and I had and either sex archery tag so we made a plan for the opening weekend and to hunt Monday and Tuesday and I wanted to be home for my daughters volleyball game Wednesday. Check my usual spots Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Only heard one bugle Monday so Tuesday made a plan to head in deeper. Tuesday morning at 8:30 I finally got in on some bugles. This bull would chime off every 10-15 minutes and was moving so I held tight near a wallow. An hour in I get a response closer so I pack up and chase after. I close the distance enough to see heads and feet walking away in the trees (thick) not spooked but I also not going to win this race. The rain starts coming down so I hunker under a tree for 2 hours. Off and on I am cow calling while I still have bull #1 still bugling to keep location on him. I hear crashing behind me and 3 spikes come into range at 62 yards. 4 point unit but a fun experience. Ok so rain stops and I get after this bull. Thought its either a bull with cows or a hunter because it doesn't seem to want to come to me so either way I need to find out. Deeper I go and still have the bugles and the last one was headed away from me so I put it in high gear to get closer only to be halted in my tracks 50 yards from 3 cows grazing. I freeze and sit on my heels undetected. I knock an arrow and get ready.... the bull is still going off and what I found is I stumbled upon the herd of 20 or so. Now a cow has me locked down and I think the gig is up... so I just freeze. My feet are numb waiting and I know I am going to have to move.... finally she goes back to grazing and I can get blood circulating again. The cows keep coming into sight and was super fun to watch but I need to see this bull. There is a collared cow and I thought it would be really cool to tag her if the opportunity arose so I could get the data but I keep watching and finally see the rack... a monster 6. I am shaking at this point! A smart man would have taken the cows grazing casually at 40 yards and be happy but I have never been this close to a giant herd bull and I want it. So time passes and the bull is rutting his gals an keeping them close. I decide i want to take a video. As soon as the camera is rolling wouldn't you know the bull comes into picture. I toss my phone down and draw as the window is open soon. He doesn't walk into the slot i have and I peek around the tree and he has eyes locked on me. I decide a side step or 2 will do the trick so I start. At that time a cow jumps and the bull goes to round her up. Since I was holding the draw for a minute or 2 my letdown is less than impressive and for whatever reason I tough the release trigger and send an arrow 5 feet over the bull. They don't spook but they also don't stay put. I follow them for the next hour and get a lot of almost shots. I finally decide to let the herd settle in and I will try again. Well as I am cow calling to keep tabs, a much younger narrow and thin 5x5 waltzes in an gets to 45 yards I thought is what I ranged on the tree. Now I don't have good cover and I got flustered and this is where the mind starts working against you. I have a bull at a very comfortable shot broadside but I rush the shot and didn't range where he stopped and the list goes on... I shot right over him. He does not bolt and instead has a hard quartering away shot. I say ok at 30 yards I can slip one right in there and still hit vitals. This is my last arrow with a broadhead since i carry a grouse getter point on the 4th arrow. I draw and fire only to shoot low this time and to the right. I hit him in the rear leg muscle. I see half the arrow sticking out the back so i know it wasn't a through and through. He bolts. I am dumbfounded at what just happen so I mark the spot and wait 30 minutes. I realize I only have my grouse getter so i better go look for the arrow I sailed over his back. I found it by luck. Stuck right through an old down log. I get on the trail of this elk for 200 yards with zero blood. I mean zero. I have a sold foot trail so no mistakes for the first 200 yards. After that, he crosses paths with the herd that went through and I cannot determine his vs. any other. I have no blood and no trail so I just head straight down the drainage and up and down 2 drainages for the next 4 hours making sure he didn't lay down or stop somewhere I could get an arrow in him. As I go up and down the drainages I stumble upon the herd again and think perfect I bet that bull joined the herd. No luck. An hour of daylight left and I call it to hike out. I felt sick and can't believe what has happened. I relive and beat myself up pretty good. Most every bow hunter I have spoken with all have a story similar and all think that bull was sore for a few days and went about his business. I truly don't think it was a fatal hit but am disgusted with my shooting. Should have been a chip shot but bull fever got the best of me. This was 2 weeks ago and just now feel the parts that I was lucky to be that close to elk that long and all that. It was a great trip with my dad and realize these trips are numbered but so close to that wall hanger we all dream about.

Like you said, anybody who has archery hunted elk for any amount of time has had it happen, I know I have. You do your best to do everything right and still manage to somehow screw it up. It's unfortunate, but that is reality. I feel your sentiment.

Man I've heard of a lot of animals getting wounded/not found from archery this year. :(

Also, for future reference, smaller paragraphs make a story a bit easier to read.

My buddy calls that getting into the "full tilt boogie". Just when you need to slow down the momentum of the situation makes you speed up usually to less then ideal results. When day's like that go right it's why we hunt and when things like that happen we wonder why we hunt. Hope your season gets better.

Most people I know who archery hunt have similar stories. It's actually one of the reasons I don't understand why crossbow hunters get so much hate. They are considerably more accurate and lethal.
Quartering shots are a tough one. The window is a lot smaller and risk for a poorly placed shot are higher. I made a bad shot on the biggest bull I've ever had an opportunity at, 42 yards broadside. In hindsight, I was shaking so badly that I should have never released. Ended up being a gut shot and I lost the blood trail after 2.5 miles. I know the bull wouldn't make it and it made me sick to my stomach. I almost quit archery hunting over it.
It happens. Practice more, learn from your mistakes, share stories so others can learn from it, and keep your head up. Enjoy the opportunity you had with your dad. Those are fleeting times. Good luck on the rest of your season.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
exotics50
Back