1874 sharps

Looking into buying an 1874 Sharps. I plan on picking up an elk rifle tag next year, and the thought of using a single shot, open sight rifle in a big slow dumb caliber has piqued my interest. What's a good option/ brand for someone wanting one for what few more rifle hunts I have in me, and a lot of shooting at the range? There's a lot of options out there, not sure what's what. Budget isn't unlimited, but I have some leeway thanks to my ex wife's new husband/ alimony killer🤣🤣
Shilo Hartford 45-70. Ordered it configured much as the Quigley model, but with 30 inch hvy oct barrel and semifancy stock.

Attachments

• 20231028_093911.jpg
    20231028_093911.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
Ok, I'm in the market for a buffalo gun, do I need a 16 lb big fifty like Jim White and Laton Huffman used to hunt with? Huffman's rifle is pictured below.

Attachments

• Huffmans Sharps rifle 1879.jpg
    Huffmans Sharps rifle 1879.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 3
Yup. You NEED that.
Well shucks, it would probably be criminal not to have it stocked with a pretty piece of Oregon Black Walnut I have sitting in my office. It is fine grained and harder than woodpecker lips. Guess I should start hunting an old penny too.

Well shucks, it would probably be criminal not to have it stocked with a pretty piece of Oregon Black Walnut I have sitting in my office. It is fine grained and harder than woodpecker lips. Guess I should start hunting an old penny too.
To be honest, the 74 is the working man's gun. Ive always felt they are most appropriate with straight grain wood. But thats just me.

To be honest, the 74 is the working man's gun. Ive always felt they are most appropriate with straight grain wood. But thats just me.
I agree. Very rarely do you see an original with wood like your average Shiloh Sharps. I bought this blank for $30 off ebay a few years ago and aside from a little fiddle back at the butt it is very average grain for black walnut. The difference between it and a piece of Missouri Black Walnut is the color. Being a cross between California Claro and Eastern Black, it has streaks of red, tan and chocolate that would complement the pack harden case hardening that Shiloh does.

I agree. Very rarely do you see an original with wood like your average Shiloh Sharps. I bought this blank for $30 off ebay a few years ago and aside from a little fiddle back at the butt it is very average grain for black walnut. The difference between it and a piece of Missouri Black Walnut is the color. Being a cross between California Claro and Eastern Black, it has streaks of red, tan and chocolate that would complement the pack harden case hardening that Shiloh does.
Years ago, I walked into the Shiloh show room and picked up a 50-90. At the time, it was a caliber that I thought had no purpose for me. But just picking up that gun had me lusting for one for many years. Though I managed to avoid it, it still leaves me with sweaty palms every so often.

Well hurry up and get it built. I am not getting any younger.

And post a few pics of that wood in the meantime. Geez we need something like this to drool over while waiting on cooler weather.

Years ago, I walked into the Shiloh show room and picked up a 50-90. At the time, it was a caliber that I thought had no purpose for me. But just picking up that gun had me lusting for one for many years. Though I managed to avoid it, it still leaves me with sweaty palms every so often.

Well hurry up and get it built. I am not getting any younger.

And post a few pics of that wood in the meantime. Geez we need something like this to drool over while waiting on cooler weather.
I'll see if I can get some pictures with just the right amount of sunlight. I kid you not, this Oregon black passes the fingernail test with flying colors.

I'll see if I can get some pictures with just the right amount of sunlight. I kid you not, this Oregon black passes the fingernail test with flying colors.
Here's an idea of what it looks like.

Attachments

• Oregon Black Walnut.jpg
    Oregon Black Walnut.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 1
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Calico kid