170" Whitetail on the killed ground @ 25yds

Life by the Horns

Definitely one of the best hunts of my life, including being very surprised how big this buck was. I knew he would be my personal best as I started the sneak, but I had no idea he was quite as big as he was. I was using a .22-250 that I had bought for the kids and my wife that year, with 60 grain Nosler Partitions. I didn't plan to get this close to this buck, nor did I know how truly big he was, but it was one of those rare times when it all works out in the hunters favor.

Getting this hunt edited and put up has been a looong time in the making, and a lot of work...

Hope you enjoy!

Definitely one of the best hunts of my life, including being very surprised how big this buck was. I knew he would be my personal best as I started the sneak, but I had no idea he was quite as big as he was. I was using a .22-250 that I had bought for the kids and my wife that year, with 60 grain Nosler Partitions. I didn't plan to get this close to this buck, nor did I know how truly big he was, but it was one of those rare times when it the book, in wi. So bring you bow not xbow or 700 yard rifle and let's play. Lol.

Last edited:
Definitely one of the best hunts of my life, including being very surprised how big this buck was. I knew he would be my personal best as I started the sneak, but I had no idea he was quite as big as he was. I was using a .22-250 that I had bought for the kids and my wife that year, with 60 grain Nosler Partitions. I didn't plan to get this close to this buck, nor did I know how truly big he was, but it was one of those rare times when it all works out in the hunters favor.

Getting this hunt edited and put up has been a looong time in the making, and a lot of work...

Hope you enjoy!

I had a great watch. Thanks for posting the beautiful video.

Nice buck!

Do you mind doing a write up of the hunt?

Maybe I am old (or old fashioned?) but ive really enjoyed reading a story about hunting in lieu of watching.

@popeyoung12

Wow…. You seem like a swell guy. Is the “12” a reference to your maturity level?

Obviously deer have antlers, but you seem so caught up in thumping your chest that you missed the metaphor of “grabbing life by the horns” and the play on words as it relates to getting out and getting it done when hunting and in life.

As far as xbows, never hunted with one, as for 700 yd rifles, never shot an animal at 700 yds, and as for doing it with a bow, I have plenty of P&Y animals on my wall from antelope, to elk, to deer, to whitetails.

Congrats on all your amazing success on Wisconsin whitetails. I aspire to be like you.

@Brad…. Assume much? Wrong on all accounts…Not an influencer….. and not trying to make a living off of it. (I’ve had a continued successful career in the government for 16 years, but thanks for your concern) Just a guy that loves to hunt, has had some blessed opportunities, has filmed my adventures for over 20 years, and likes to share my excitement, experiences, and tactics via video media. Guess you must not like the founder of this site Randy Newberg eh?

Grow up. Being a man-child is not a good look.

Great buck. Crazy he came right to you. Post this in the “neck shots” thread too, for all the haters on there! 😜
Lol…. Ahh the dreaded “frontal”….. only one of the most lethal and deadly shots there is!

Yeah, believe me when I say no one was more surprised than I. The only thing I can think, is that he must have saw the top of my head and was curious. Him being with a hot doe, maybe he thought the movement he saw was another buck trying to sneak in🤷🏻‍♂️…. That added to my reaction though…. Having him that close and then dropping him on the spot was just a crazy adrenaline dump.

@Brad…. Assume much? Wrong on all accounts…Not an influencer….. and not trying to make a living off of it. (I’ve had a continued successful career in the government for 16 years, but thanks for your concern) Just a guy that loves to hunt, has had some blessed opportunities, has filmed my adventures for over 20 years, and likes to share my excitement, experiences, and tactics via video media. Guess you must not like the founder of this site Randy Newberg eh?

Grow up. Being a man-child is not a good look.
If you're not shopping for social media value, why post your stuff all over the web and have it under "Life by the Horns Production" etc?

And no, while Randy is a nice guy, in general not a fan of his tv work.

If you're not shopping for social media value, why post your stuff all over the web and have it under "Life by the Horns Production" etc?

And no, while Randy is a nice guy, in general not a fan of his tv work.

If you wanna go date the uglier Rinella brother, just go date him man. No one will hold it against you.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yvk253
Back