Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

12 Mistakes Men Make When Hunting With Women

katqanna

The guide for every man on exactly how to show a lady a miserable time in the woods

I had to laugh at a number of these (including the title and subtitle), then cringe at some of the contradictions or stereotypes. As a woman who hunts, I cant relate much to this list (except the dark chocolate), simply because I prefer to look at people as people, not genders, but then I was raised by my father (in some peoples eyes I might as well been raised by wolves). I know men that dont like to hunt in the cold or rain, dont like discomforts and are squeamish about innards. In fact my last husband was like that. And I know women that that are just the opposite, so I look to peoples character and personality and take those factors into consideration, rather than their gender.

The only 2 things that I might suggest that some men might not think about is earrings and peeing. Seriously, ever go out on a bloody frigid day and have the metal in your earlobes conduct the cold, freezing/biting your ears? I thought about that with the pics of some of the women in the article wearing studs. While some earrings can make some great emergency fishing lures, even simple studs can freeze the hell out of a persons earlobes.

And yes, men have a great advantage in the wild peeing. If you are taking a newbie hunter female out, mention about leaning against trees, kicking and checking logs when squatting for snakes or spiders. And how their many layers of clothing will affect how they pee. I prefer not to wear overalls in bloody cold weather because of the straps.

Wait!!

First, I had no ide regarding your gender. I guess you'll take that as a complement since I've never seen you and you hang out here. Awesome!!

Second, as a woman in the outdoors, how do you not have one of these?

http://www.shewee.com

Although my wife doesn't hunt, she does everything but pull the trigger. She's a real trooper and not afraid to get dirty or bloody.
I have some hunting buddies that I will no longer invite on hunts unless it involves road hunting and staying in hotels...........big sissies.

Colberjs, yes, I am female, last time I looked. :) Only on something like this do I make a point of stating my gender, otherwise, Hunt Talk is about hunting and related subjects, not my being female. I never brought this up on the forum before, though I discussed it with a number of male hunters that were friends and participated on Hunt Talk or occasionally lurked/posted. About a year and half ago a woman came on this forum. And just like I had seen at other forums over the years that I had participated in, like Hoods Woods, she wanted a womens section. So Randy graciously added one. I told my friends, you watch, she might last a couple months posting, till the newness of getting attention about female amongst a predominately male forum wears off. I gave it a few months. It lasted 2 months and she hasnt posted since on this forum. That, and articles like this are what drive me nuts about how women are viewed as hunters. And as more and more women join the hunting ranks (statistics show that it is the largest growing sector of hunting) you are unfortunately going to see more such articles in your hunting magazines and in advertisements. Barbie goes hunting!

Tried one of the urinating devices, more trouble than it was worth, much easier to drop your drawers and pee. They dont address the fact that now you have an item with your scent on it to carry around. Even if you carry a bag with you to put it in, you still have to handle, use extra water to rinse, there are a multiple of logistics that simply didnt make it worth my while. I can handle the few seconds of ass freezing temps much easier than all the extra work. But then I breast fed rather than deal with all the bottle work as well. Just a preference, I guess. I prefer low maintenance, less gear.

glass eye, thanks for sharing that. Similarly I also have male friends that just through regular associations or having a bad hiking/fishing/hunting experience with, will not do anything with them outdoors, they are too high maintenance for me. That's part of what got me about this article, those things happen regardless of gender in my experience.

And I have to thank Randy and the character of the majority of men that participate here, that I have by and large felt welcome and comfortable at this forum, because my gender was not an issue, or treated like a handicap, no eggshell walking (cant say that or Kathryn will be offended BS). For that I am greatly appreciative.

My first thought was "only 12?"

I have broken a number of these. I took my wife turkey hunting and set up in a perfect spot for a fly-down ambush. A big Tom walked not ten yards in front of us and I whispered "shoot", nothing and the birds still walking so I repeat "Shoot", seems like eternity and I'm looking right at her with her gun train right on the bird and with a command in a strong whisper "SHOOT!!!", the bird will take two more steps and will be gone forever.......................I shoot.

That was the longest most silent ride home, two decades later I am still paying for that crime.

Last edited:
I once took my wife on a horseback ride, up along the Gallatin Divide, just after a (not quite) blizzard had passed through. Chill factors up there were off the scale, although almost more comfortable after we got off that ridge, down to a camp kinda by Amnesia Lake!
She's even gone on another pack trip or two since!!
Not during hunting season, though...

Not hunting related but fishing.
We called a woman a bladder buster, the reason, we used to have fishing competitions where one would share a boat with a fishing partner, the guy was always too embarrassed to pee over the side in front of the woman, but she shattered all the illusions one day, in front of my buddy she dropped her pants and knickers, squatted down and went for a pee in the little plastic baling box, tipped it over the side and carried on fishing, awesome!:D
Cheers
Richard

Tom, thank you for putting a smile on my face this morning. I have posted before about inferior quality packaged in pink and purple pissing me off - including tools.

I was talking to a guy at the RMEF banquet in Livingston about bows, he was telling me about his rotator cuff injury after JB walked by and asked how my shoulder was healing. I had been shopping for a collapsible recurve when I ripped the left rotator cuff, pec muscle and triceps. That put a damper on using a bow, wondering if I ever would again. Then last fall I dislocated my right shoulder, tore that tricep and the back trapezius. Due to his injury, he switched to a recurve built by a guy in Oregon, I think it was, that uses bamboo cores. They are lighter weight. But the thing he mentioned that caught my attention and why he got the bow with his injury, was that the draw weight was, lets say a 40# but shot like a 45-50#. That would be a help, especially for women without injuries. This year, its the rifle. :(

Richard, great laugh. I would have not thought men would be bashful like that. Never experienced a bashful one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back