Yeti GOBOX Collection

44hunter45's 2024 backcountry Idaho Moose semi-live hunt thread.

44hunter45

Well it's time to get this semi-live thread started.

Early May. Successfully drawn for 2024. I don't mind telling where my tag is, since if I'm successful it's one and done. Well, I don't -- but to protect the odds after I shoot a 55" bull, I've edited it out.
I've scrubbed the post to be Nottellum Creek.

Thank you Idaho HT brothers who provided encouragement to keep drawing when I was going to give it up. Realizing the tag and the unit is kind of an "Oh shit" comparable to walking up on that bull you just shot and realizing you now need to start breaking it down and packing it out.

Bi-polar as I am, this will be a physical and mental challenge. But I'm up for it. Many of you have offered tips, volunteered to sherpa and glass with me, and provide general cheer-leading. None of you have heard me snore in camp yet.

This is a tough unit, and I'm not 30 years old any more. My plan is to scout the hell out of this and have a good time whether I shoot a bull or not. The goal is anything with forked fronts, but I will tag anything legal toward the end.

I have been e-scouting every night and getting the trails burned in my brain. This is essentially a wilderness hunt in all but name. If I were crazy enough to pack in a chainsaw, I could. The legal roads run around the perimeter of the unit. but not through it. It is not too big in square miles. My on-the-ground scouting goal is to have hiked all the major trails in the unit before the opener. My old paper maps show a ton of lesser trails, too. A lifetime's worth to explore.

My first on the ground trip will be May 18-19. Driving in to base camp Friday afternoon after work and hike up as far a 2019 burn on Saturday. Overnight there and explore Sunday. I want to work the bunny trails before hitting the black diamonds. Hopefully I will toughen up as I go. I've found living on Heather's Choice and Gastro Gnome are about the most pleasant weight loss program a guy can have.

I have not been up this place past the campground. This will be new territory.

Last edited:
Congratulations on finally drawing that tag. I hope the adventure this year is everything you want.

Sounds like a great plan. That is a very tough moose unit because of the packout and logistics. But you are going to have a great time regardless. I like the attitude and ambition take some people up on their offers to help!

Following!
It’s great you’re getting out early and learning the area. That’s gonna be big benefit. Just knowing the lay of the land and how to get around. Hard to judge bulls this time of year anyway and they will be changing their habits and hang outs between now and hunting season anyway.
Make sure you have your bear tag with you when you scout!!!
Can’t wait to see this come together

I promise if I make it up there for work this year I’ll get up early on a morning and do a quick run/scout for you. Plus that gives me a good excuse to not stay up late with young coworkers

Re your question about deer tags, what is the latest you can switch the tag? If possible, I would wait until leftover NR tags go on sale, see what is left, and make a decision then if I couldn’t pick up a second tag. By that time, scouting will have given you an idea of the likelihood of running into mule deer while moose hunting.

I realize that you could run into a whopper anywhere and you would be kicking yourself if you did but you didn’t have the right tag (I did that once with bear when I had a moose tag in Montana). On the other hand, I would hate to be sitting at home eating moose stir fry for lunch on November 9, look out the window to see a big ol’ whitetail chasing a doe through the yard, and only have a general tag.

Re your question about deer tags, what is the latest you can switch the tag? If possible, I would wait until leftover NR tags go on sale, see what is left, and make a decision then if I couldn’t pick up a second tag. By that time, scouting will have given you an idea of the likelihood of running into mule deer while moose hunting.

I realize that you could run into a whopper anywhere and you would be kicking yourself if you did but you didn’t have the right tag (I did that once with bear when I had a moose tag in Montana). On the other hand, I would hate to be sitting at home eating moose stir fry for lunch on November 9, look out the window to see a big ol’ whitetail chasing a doe through the yard, and only have a general tag.
If I remember correctly, the actual rule on exchange is up until the opener of that tag. So including archery, that would be Sept 1st. But I will be out glassing moose August 30th for sure.

Technically it's not an exchange. I have my Sportsman's Pack receipt for a deer tag. I will have to choose when I redeem that for a tag. Same with elk except that is a capped zone, so I can't get the tag until after July 10th. I guess I will be in the line at Tri-State that day.

It's just mind games. I will get a rifle elk tag for the zone. Probably will change deer tags. I can focus on helping my granddaughter punch her WT tag at home then.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the actual rule on exchange is up until the opener of that tag. So including archery, that would be Sept 1st. But I will be out glassing moose August 30th for sure.

It's just mind games. I will get a rifle elk tag for the zone. Probably will change deer tags. I can focus on helping my granddaughter punch her WT tag at home then.
All in commitment!!!

I am always triggered by folks who draw a MSG tag and are lackadaisical about it. Why even bother? Get out of the way for someone who values the tag.
This is so true. Everyone puts in their wife, kids, uncles sister, pets nowadays. Half the time when they draw they dont even know what they got or were in for

Reactions: DFS

Technically it's not an exchange. I have my Sportsman's Pack receipt for a deer tag. I will have to choose when I redeem that for a tag. Same with elk except that is a capped zone, so I can't get the tag until after July 10th. I guess I will be in the line at Tri-State that day.

If you have a regular deer tag its still a short drive for you to units where you can hunt WT thru Nov.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back