Advertisement

Zinke v. Juneau

MTGomer

image.png

I could dig into this and I should, but I figured I'd ask here too, as I know there are others much more educated on the topic than I.
Is there any truth to this?

Last edited:
Here is what I saw in the local rag:

Juneau said Wednesday those sales are part of a state “land-banking” program, in which the state sells small parcels of state land that have no public access and then acquires land or right-of-way that increases public access to other state lands.

I consider it a good thing that Zinke and Juneau are arguing about who supports public land more.

I consider it a good thing that Zinke and Juneau are arguing about who supports public land more.

Agreed. If WE weren't making it an issue, they wouldn't be talking about it. I take it as a sign that maybe we are starting to make some headway in certain circles. But we need to keep pressing on ALL of our public officials because they clearly haven't all gotten the message.

Although technically correct, it looks like Juneau was doing land swaps, which are generally a good thing and help us get access. I didn't agree with Zinke's vote on the bill in question, but I thought the tie to selling off lands was tenuous but perhaps also technically correct. It looks like this is going to be one of "those" types of elections. The good news is that we only have 102 more days of this sort of stuff.

Randy deserves a lot of credit for making supporting public land transfer a toxic choice. Well done!

Land banking is what Zinke is trying to claim is selling public land. Which is funny, because he voted to remove the sunset date on the program and increase the acreage sold.

Because it's a good program. So, yeah.

http://laws.leg.mt.gov/legprd/LAW0203W$BSRV.ActionQuery?P_SESS=20091&P_BLTP_BILL_TYP_CD=HB&P_BILL_NO=402&P_BILL_DFT_NO=&P_CHPT_NO=&Z_ACTION=Find&P_ENTY_ID_SEQ2=&P_SBJT_SBJ_CD=&P_ENTY_ID_SEQ=

Advertisement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mdunaway
Back