Zero compared to altitude ?

SFC B

I have previously driven up to Woodland Park (+- the same alt as elk camp)and gone out into thte NF to zero my '06 prior to season. As wet as it has been I don't know if I will be able to get back to where I normally shoot. We have a range at Ft Carson but it is -3k from camp. My question is what effect will the 6 to 9k difference make with respect to zero. I am shooting Fed V-Shok 180gr NP. Thanks

Altitude and barometric pressure have small effects, usually offsetting each other, but the biggest influence is the air density. Rule of thumb, if it's very cold hold a bit high; if it's humid go the other way. The formula and possibilities to be any more exacting are staggering.

How far will you be shooting? Out to any reasonable distance (say 500 yards, 400 for certain) the difference between 6000 ft and 9000 ft elevation is small enough to be negligible.

Thanks for the input guys. Since I try to stay +-300m (although last year was 360m), sounds like I should be good.

Altitude has little effect in my experience. I sight in at about 8000 feet because that's where my camp and makeshift range is. I hunt from 5000 to 9500 approx. and have never experienced altitude issues with POI.
Those problems are always shooter induced. :)

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back