MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Your Personal Wounding Rate- Archery Elk

What is your personal wounding rate on elk with a bow? # unrecovered divided by # shot with an arrow

• 0-10%

Votes: 67 69.8%
  • 11-20%

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • 21-30%

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • 31-40%

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 41%+

Votes: 14 14.6%

• Total voters
This is a great thread for trolls and antis.
Yeah we should just pretend that it never happens.

Maybe the sample size is too small or maybe Hunt Talkers are just very proficient bowhunters, but the numbers according to the poll are pretty surprising to me. I don’t think it’s really giving ammunition to antis when the vast majority of the respondents in the poll have wounding rates under 10%.

Imo most guys who consistently take animals with a bow legitimately have a low wounding rate. I know personally I feel every bit as confident with my bow as I do a rifle.

I feel that sloppy hunters are just that, regardless of what weapon they are using. I would venture to say those who wound a lot of animals with archery equipment most likely do the same with a rifle

I have a 100% loss rate on archery elk. I lost the first 2 that I shot in the mid 1980s. I hung up the bow for 15 years but went out again in the early 2000s and lost another bull. Shots were 20, 35, and 45 yards estimated. Though I practice quite a bit some years I haven't taken it back out.

I have killed somewhere around 40 elk with a rifle and drew blood on one that I know of that I didn't eat. I shot through a cow in the timber and hit one behind it that I never saw. I cut the track with blood in it or I wouldn't have known.

Reactions: DFS
I actually never had the opportunity to take an elk yet. However I've been with family on many hunts over the years. I can remember only 2 elk that were wounded I've seen. Been elk hunting around 30 years now. 1st one was on a windy day and one of my cousins took a far last day shot. Hit far back on hind quarter. 2nd one was one of my buddies. He was new to archer and honestly needed more practice. He shot a cow in the front leg just above calf muscle. Excitement and lack of practice cause that one. Now I've lost a few mule deer throughout the years. I actually had a blade fall off in flight and cause a brisket hit. I should have checked them before I shot the tip was loose. It was a fixed blade broadhead. A few years back I got a shot at a big muley buck. I got excited pulled my shot and gut shot him. Tracked him for 2 miles and lost blood. I shoot my bow about 3x a week year round. I think it happens to the best of us.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
george84
Back