Yeti GOBOX Collection

Young Hunter Responsible for Death.

Gerald Martin

Following the recent controversy over whether or not Montana should allow mentored youth hunters under the age of 12 for big game, I thought it timely to give a summary of an incident that recently took place in Virginia.
On January 4, 2014 an eight year old mentored hunter was responsible for the death of a young cervid. The unlicensed hunter was accompanied by his father on private property owned by his grandfather. While taking advantage of Virginia’s law that allows for spouses, children , and grandchildren of property owners to hunt on their own land, Timothy Martin fired a fateful shot that terminated the life of a young button buck.
Individuals close to the young hunter noted that he had not yet completed a certified hunters safety course due to his young age. To the astonishment of many across the nation, the young hunter’s father deemed him responsible enough to attempt to hunt with a .50 cal. black powder weapon after observing his conduct and ability to follow directions. His father noted that his marksmenship with a 10 pump Daisy air rifle and .22 cal rimfire has resulted in the demise of over a dozen red squirrels in his native state. It is reported that after being instructed on the mechanics of firing a black powder weapon and firing several accurate shots with reduced loads, Timothy was allowed to accompany his father to his grandfathers fields where whitetail deer were frequently seen.
After several unsuccessful outings Timothy was able to intercept a button buck as it made its way from the field towards the bedding area. There were several tense minutes as the deer's suspicion mounted and Timothy got set for his shot and waited for the deer to present an acceptable angle for a clean shot.
As the buck neared the safety zone of the neighboring property it paused briefly while standing broadside. Without hesitation the young hunter fired, dropping the buck instantly in his tracks.
When asked how he felt about what he was responsible for doing, the young hunter showed no remorse, only elation as he pumped his fist and remarked multiple times as he took accountability for his actions. " I did it! I can't believe I finally did it!"
Photographs taken at the scene of the incident have recorded the gravity of this life changing event in this young man's life.
After a quick field dressing, the victim of this incident was hanged by the hocks for several days before being transformed into steaks, roasts, and burger with the intention of being consumed by the young man and his family.

The end.

Attachments

• Dwayne and Jenn wedding, Timothy's deer 019.jpg
    Dwayne and Jenn wedding, Timothy's deer 019.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:
Nice work Timothy! What part of VA Gerald? I personally think the mentored hunter program works well here.

Rockingham County, Jwill. I think the mentored program works too, but I seem to be in the minority among the Montana guys. The ironic thing is he'll have to wait four more years before he is deemed mature enough to hunt in his home state.

The mentored youth programs are working well all over the country and it's too bad your state can't see the light of day and pass one!!! Good writeup, picture, and smile on that youngun. Papa should be very proud!!!

Love it. Sometimes I am concerned how many potential hunters we lose because they don't get that first hand experience until they are 12. By then, there are plenty of other things to distract them. Going along and participating is great, but actually taking a game animal is something more. I like the idea of being right there to mentor my kids and being involved in the decision of when they are ready. Looks like it worked for this little man!

Good for you guys, I hope he is hooked on this as much or more than video games.

Very well written! I think responsibility and sportsmanship starts at a young age. Mentor program sounds like a great thing. I guess it would depend on how well the parent/mentor has taught them on whether or not they are ready.

Great job! Good for you Gerald knowing when your kid is ready. I've had my youngun's on many an adventure where I wished they could have been on the trigger. I'm pretty sure I would have known the outcome if me and my dad were in those shoes a couple decades ago :rolleyes:

For now, they have to be content to do everything in the process but pull the trigger. Some days it's a good thing, some days not so good. I just wish every kid had been taught the ethics, respect and safety first approach that I feel you exhibit. Those kids are ready to take to the field. Mine are ready to take to the field before they turned 12. I had an 11 year old and 9 year old in Hunter's Safety at the same time. One got 100% and the other 94%. They did better than several men older than their dad in the class.

Anyway, enough of my semi-rant. Congrats to you and your son. Hopefully there will be untold great memories coming down the pipe!

-Cade

That is just awesome!! That's what it's all about right there. Congrats to you and your son. Those are memories that will last a lifetime.

Let this be a warning to all who come after. Putting guns in the trained/mentored hands of young people will only have one outcome……..death and good eating.

Well done!

Awesome! If my oldest shows me he's ready next year, I hope to have a similar experience. You and him did well! I bet that the world would have ended if he'd have been able to do that in MT... :D

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeoregonhunter
Back