WY, Feedgrounds, and CWD

What a mess. Seems like this comes up every year or two and nobody likes the solutions of the "other side."

"Natural predation could be a tool to weed out infected animals, Edwards said. Researchers know mountain lions selectively prey on CWD-infected animals, he said. Some researchers of wolf predation believe wolves may be able to identify those animals that are CWD positive “before they’re showing clinical signs,” he told the group."

I'm not sure why Edwards is pushing this narrative. He was definitely challenged by me at our CWD meeting in Casper as to how mountain lions could detect CWD in their prey. He had no answer and there is zero scientific evidence to prove any predator can. It is obvious to me, any predator, including humans will kill more infected animals if their senses are slowed by disease. Predators kill by opportunity.

This is a typical example of the reporting by Angus Thuermer and Wyofile as it is slightly off topic and biased. As much as some think so, predators most likely are not the "cure all" to CWD.

"Natural predation could be a tool to weed out infected animals, Edwards said. Researchers know mountain lions selectively prey on CWD-infected animals, he said. Some researchers of wolf predation believe wolves may be able to identify those animals that are CWD positive “before they’re showing clinical signs,” he told the group."

I'm not sure why Edwards is pushing this narrative. He was definitely challenged by me at our CWD meeting in Casper as to how mountain lions could detect CWD in their prey. He had no answer and there is zero scientific evidence to prove any predator can. It is obvious to me, any predator, including humans will kill more infected animals if their senses are slowed by disease. Predators kill by opportunity.

This is a typical example of the reporting by Angus Thuermer and Wyofile as it is slightly off topic and biased. As much as some think so, predators most likely are not the "cure all" to CWD.
It's also about the only long form journalism I've found in WY, unless you want to point me towards others I don't know about.

Kenetrek Boots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Get-U-SumOutdoors
Back