Why is shed hunting so popular now?

Itsbeef

I used to shed hunt a lot when I was living in Wyoming. Since moving to Montana a few years ago I’ve noticed a lot more pressure. Guys getting out super early before bulls drop and bumping them and some of my favorite spots getting shut down. Also seen so much more on social media and it’s kinda ruined it for me.
Wanted to hear your thoughts.

It's a sport. Getting out. Maybe make u a legend. Famous.

My dad started horn hunting in the early 80s. Crazy huge chalk and whites. Big browns hard to find. Me and my 3 brothers all grew up doing it. In high school and middle school my class mates thought it weird. My Dad taught us alot about hunting and shed hunting. The problem is right now people can profit off it. Wasn't like that when I grew up. Landowners let u go. Give u the key. Like a crazy idea. Go looking for horns. Big money now. I could tell u some crazy $*)Q!#@$ storys. But uh what I think wish they worth nothing. But with game farms and bs. Natural antlers more popular than ever. I think and what I know is this. Over time more tags were given out so less quality animals. So less great sheds. 15 to 20 yrs ago in mt the age class was there. Not the sport. Over time anyone that draws a tag a professional hunter but usually fills there tag on a lesser animal. So quality not there. Natural consequences of bad management. 30 to 40 yrs ago fwp didn't have to manage. Not alot of trophy hunters. Meat hunters and family time. Now days everyone a killer and post there bullshit. Heavy hunters. Liberal tags. Miracle trophy's exist.

Iam not trying to challenge anyone or anything like that. Just saying. My dad has a 428 elk antler if the other side matched. He found the set from yr before. Too. He has huge mule deer sheds. All prior or at the beginning of LE units. So otc. Biggest change. Huge pressure hunting. Which reflects the animals that survive and shed. God dam miracle in most LE units a 150 muley or 300 bull. Just my opinion

The 428 elk shed scored by Fred King. The 269 deer shed scored by the raculotar guys. I get 271.

Dog chews are popular. I try to locate. Then try to live with an elk god until he sheds. I chase hugens

On u tube and bs. Most those dinks are horn buyers. Too. Don't respect them. they sell bs

Wish the sale of all antlers could be illegal, personally. Know of someone that travels all around doing it to make money, and apparently does well.

Most people here probably know, but wildlife actually need them for calcium - and i think we are past the point of impacting things during critical calving time.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back