Why I didn’t fill my WY general tag.

well I didn't post anything....but I, in fact did not fill my elk tag in Wyoming last year. Did you know there are just as many general elk tag hunters in the Medicine Bow as I've ever seen in an OTC Colorado unit. blew up both my knees on the 2nd day I was up there. Hobbled around for week only to get into some elk on my last day before having to leave. Never made it back with a rifle but such is life...guess i really suck at elk hunting

In fairness, if you don't fill a general tag in Wyoming, you do actually suck pretty bad at hunting elk, just don't want to pull the trigger, or stayed home.

I may not go this year and for sure will shoot the first bull I get a chance at or cow without a calf if I do. That usually takes 1-2 days.
Myself and two buddies (all residents) went two years not filling general elk tags. We burned hundreds of miles of boot leather.
Two of the three of us broke the spell last year.

Last time I drew the deadline to withdraw was Jan 31st. About Feb 8th my wife let me know she was pregnant with my first born. Planned on going archery instead. Then she had contractions the whole month of September so that put the kabosh on that. Born Oct 10th. I let him know in the delivery room he owed me an elk hunt.

Myself and two buddies (all residents) went two years not filling general elk tags. We burned hundreds of miles of boot leather.
Two of the three of us broke the spell last year.
I hunted about 35-40 minutes before killing my first elk in a general area in Wyoming. I didn't look at my watch, it could have been quicker.

Last time I drew the deadline to withdraw was Jan 31st. About Feb 8th my wife let me know she was pregnant with my first born. Planned on going archery instead. Then she had contractions the whole month of September so that put the kabosh on that. Born Oct 10th. I let him know in the delivery room he owed me an elk hunt.
I now refer November to the end of march as the "offseason" to my wife :) - heres some data to support the conclusion.

Had my first sept 2, 2022... opening archery in MT.

P.s. maybe dont mention it to the wife and have a long series of misfires. Shes not found of referring to it as the offseason 🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240826_182036_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240826_182036_Chrome.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20240826_182012_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240826_182012_Chrome.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 24
I now refer November to the end of march as the "offseason" to my wife :) - heres some data to support the conclusion.

Had my first sept 2, 2022... opening archery in MT.

P.s. maybe dont mention it to the wife and have a long series of misfires. Shes not found of referring to it as the offseason 🤣
Were all done and we have 3. I'll just take it when I can get it now. Missing that elk hunt was nothing compared to experiencing what was the only moment that has ever left me literally speechless. (No I'm not talking about that. She had a c-section you sick bastards, looking at you @cgasner1 😆)

i had the chance last year at a 5x5 i think,,did not want to take a unethical 500 yrd shot right at last few minutes of shooting light..didnt get any other chances in 7 other hunting days,,{thats my story}tag soup

I hunted about 35-40 minutes before killing my first elk in a general area in Wyoming. I didn't look at my watch, it could have been quicker.
Yeah, but as I assume you know, not all general areas are created equal.

We hunt within 1.5 hours from our town. I know there are better areas and maybe should look into them.

I tend to hang close in order to also hunt and scout mulies, which are my passion.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuntTalkMa’am
Back