Which 50-inch side-by-side?

I do like this gear cage the previous owner had installed on the back. I can just throw my tub and packs of gear in back and shut its gate without doing a lot of tiedown origami.

UhrnoKg0HEFQdb2xArD8erLdcc87dQ2sQMiNKmLaHAkaXRk-iT95NCjgRzo3gHN3T_Eg3LbSSt5vTF1iq63uN_6rmpGJRHzp_BL6MSPpNbIapLUa7NN75otE6_ubotjDnXuvoYb-C1uqkKEeUXnC42TjDx9sk983Tsu7PoAL9GXqsKnXSHmSnqkkrLy1MaIoqDW7O-PPGuRQrGk7MX04I4WNGoONrMUXZJ5OMj27vRHuUCScQNu4raaaB6t58fxMkDQlKEXdb9TJrTCtl_Tq11Es3ZXuvUJnjjncC0UIBIBgVpqnxdPwy2kgM7TPsQ2QYQZRNqk9VhfNI1hmEDwvZcziyCHimDEonFZ9sS0J9yr97kC3NrhMF2ECZTjMonEBPZD4iIsSjn_KmP5BNSzN4qpD3qyEz28kY38okI3_Ctb3eP0uazvXP3aSbwQ7gJwSRcqWUT1uJsqnkdAXQmK1sATBDytaa2MkD7f-GqMYUtmmV1D58pRae9MDdZoUSrxFI1EfDa60KKoyhb_aDUAmganehNb4EANL2CQ86hLPWxY-y-zBwglsARslDjZOxv5baQZw7_A4DsUoQtky4wTQUdtk2RrT_rBWanKZVM5HMYa3W28kooQjScWGKjUTIRDcbIaVAd3qjowsAkw6TWfsN04deVHI_iS0uS6AVIKqmtUztzHwgo-4sTbrmomPu4ZEyYsBkWrv_rM0i2TuOXT8H8kpj5P8N8F0l3UkvmznPDwiOGuZwROvzdjKDG4Ibh7jr8ojFcaXSvwg27j86YQxkbYnDKhq0EfpGAfr_Q6JwCR1xdPCMz5kT_Ky2wpStVIhjG4HH_Y69rjIR3pxn5XYC0cG3qurtq4hGIM3Klidye3FUeLx_vSwEolH2s4nB4s_fik_5sK2-q3i03e8VMzGZTTzhBElzVYFphWgr_v7IG1wsvhC3Q=w1205-h904-s-no

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/tusk-terrabite®-radial-tire-p

The Tusk Terrabites are excellent for hard pack and are DOT certified. However, I was very displeased with their snow/mud performance. Felt like I was riding with racing slicks by the end of rifle season here in SW MT. I also went up to 28” from the 26” stock tires to gain an additional 1” of ground clearance.

Will be switching to a more aggressive tire this year. I’ve heard great things about Carnivores from other ATV/UTV owners.

Last edited:
I purchased a can am. Any recommendations for rear dog carrier?
I purchased a dusty dog carrier when we decided to get a puppy in March of last year3/22.
Pup turned 16 months before we got the carrier. It is quality, but wait time could be a while.

I'm looking at the 520 but I'll have to drive a few hours to get one, whereas 700s and 1000s ate sitting at local dealers. There's no easy way to know if I'll like the 520 by at least sitting in one.

How does the room in sitting in the 520 differ from the 1000 in your opinion?

I'm looking at the 520 but I'll have to drive a few hours to get one, whereas 700s and 1000s ate sitting at local dealers. There's no easy way to know if I'll like the 520 by at least sitting in one.

How does the room in sitting in the 520 differ from the 1000 in your opinion?
I’ve only ever used a 520 but two grown men do fit in it with some room comfortably. We have had to squeeze in a third just for fun for a short trip, wasn’t comfortable at all but was able to do it. Hope that helps a bit in the 520 arena.

How is the legroom on the 520? I noticed a lot of the smaller and mid size machines really cramped my legs after a while due to limited leg room to stretch my leg.

Any preferences or things to look for in a smaller 2-seater that fits the 50-inch bill? I've always been a die hard Honda fan for my ATVs over the past 30 years. I see more Polarises (Polari?) than anything but a few Can-Ams too in UTVs. You all have any preferences, recommendations, or horror stories? It will be used for a lot of western CO trails meaning some mud but lots of rocks, steep trails, cold starts, and a lot of trailering. I tend to carry way more crap around than I actually need and probably won't be breaking that habit any time soon so that's a factor as well. Not to mention it will hopefully be carrying a fair number of elk quarters. Thanks.
I use a company owned Honda that has been abused and it keeps going. My vote is definitely on the Honda.

How is the legroom on the 520? I noticed a lot of the smaller and mid size machines really cramped my legs after a while due to limited leg room to stretch my leg.
Like I said I’ve only been in a 520 but leg room has never been an issue. I’m also vertically challenged at 5’7” so leg room is never really an issue in anything haha.

How much 'work' vs 'play? In 2019, we had an absolute 'work' UTV. It was slow, wide, rough and a 'mule' to steer. Came across the 'Trail' UTVs first started by Polaris (50" version). The Polaris is what we decided on. We now have over 6000 miles on it and use it summer and winter. I have recently purchased a RS1 (see pic) and it is 64" wide. Here is why we LOVE the 50" RZR. We looked at the others and decided on the 900 RZR for its wheelbase, interior, reputation and so on. We have never been sorry (a bit sorry I bought the RS1, but that's another story). We find the power 'adequate' to say the least and it is controllable enough to help you not to stray into 'uncontrollable' dangerous territory but it still has the power for the tracks. Another big advantage (to us) is weight. The unit is much lighter than most UTV's but still has decent performance. I could go on about the 'normal' things, but here are some things I found out about Polaris since owning it. Polaris tries to use the same, or 'similar' parts in their units. One thing we didn't like about our 50" were the 12" 'short' tires. After some measuring, we found out that the 14" rims with tires from the bigger units were a simple 'bolt on'. The rims are wider, but have an offset to the inside so that wheel stance was actually reduced slightly. The factory tires from the bigger units are often available for nearly 'giveaway' prices (we bought a set of 4 wheels and tires nearly new for $400 Canadian). This gave us a huge improvement in ground clearance and capability. Another observation I have made is that the 50" seems more like the 60" version, but no flares and shorter control arms, axle shafts, etc.. Have not proved it, but thinking a 1000 can be made into a 50" trail if a person wanted. I found out a lot about Polaris use of parts in multiple machines mostly as a result of my RS1. Powertrain, other than turbo engine, all from 1000 turbo to be stronger as an example. We installed the windshield, roof, back window and lower doors (lower doors now included) when we first bought the unit. Once the tracks were on, we instantly ordered upper doors.One thing mentioned in this post was about the belts and 'burnt' spots causing the belt to be garbage. During a belt change, I discovered that the belt can be 'warmed up' by reving the engine in neutral, just like you would do on a snowmobile. Huge help for belt life. With the 50"trail unit, there has never been a trail we could not get through because of width. If we had our time back, the only thing we would have done different is the roof. Because the roof 'hangs out' a bit, it does tend to occasionally grab branches in overgrown trails. After all this, If you want a real 'workhorse', this might not be a perfect choice. We have still managed to pull a light ice shack and other items with no difficulty and if we really need to haul a load, the unit does have a receiver hitch. We did not buy this unit with any intention of collecting firewood, moving material, field maintenance, etc.. We simply bought it to have fun and go anywhere we wanted (in our 60's, we are not looking for the deepest mud lol). In all of our miles, and some have been hard, we have not had one expense other than oil changes, a few belts and a couple of 'torque arm' pieces on the tracks. I do realize this is a 'hunt talk' site, but this unit can still be used for a wide variety of hunting scenarios.

Attachments

• IMG_4384.jpeg
    IMG_4384.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4255.jpeg
    IMG_4255.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4054.jpeg
    IMG_4054.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3839.jpeg
    IMG_3839.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2765.jpeg
    IMG_2765.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
Bought a 50" one year old Polaris Rzr 900 (White Lightning edition for whatever that means?) off the neighbor about 3 years ago. That thing has been ALL OVER central Oregon without a problem. Kept it 100% stock but I am gonna do a belt upgrade this next go around to smooth it out a touch at low speeds. Could use a touch more ground clearance in heavy snow but its owner would rather be next to the fire with a neat bourbon on those days anyway...

Back