Caribou Gear Tarp

What type of hunting knife?

What type of knife do you like for Backcountry hunting? I'm a knife maker and hunter and always experimenting with new steels and designs. Started with high carbon steel and moved up into premium steels for edge retention as I don't enjoy sharpening my knife midway through an elk on a 45° slope with a storm rolling in. My last steel I tested skinned and quartered two cow elk without sharpening and still shaved (cpm10v). Trying CPM S90V this year. Is there a better steel choice? What do you like? Steel? Blade length? Blade shape? Handle?
Another excellent brand to consider for backcountry hunting knives is Benchmade. They are well-regarded for using premium steels like CPM-S30V and S90V in their hunting knives, which offer excellent edge retention and corrosion resistance.

Their Benchmade Altitude is a standout model for backcountry hunts. It features a minimalist design with a fixed blade, making it extremely lightweight while still offering toughness with a CPM-S90V blade. The knife has a full tang construction and comes with carbon fiber or G10 handle scales, which keep the weight down while ensuring durability and grip. It's a great option when you need a reliable, high-performing knife without added bulk in the backcountry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back