Weatherby Mark V. Like potato chips.

Are they accurate shooters?

I get the urge to try/buy one every time I stop by the Weatherby factory. Adam and his team do a LOT for conservation.
The newer ones come with sub moa garuntee. Older models didn’t have that but that wasn’t a thing when some were manufactured.

What makes everyone choose the mark v? 54* bolt throw? Their stocks?
The stocks are the one thing I don't like about my two. I’m more of a straight stock kind of guy. I bought mine because a few older guys at the hunting lease
I was just getting into said they were the cream of the crop. I had been shooting my ruger tanger 3006 for twenty years and had very little knowledge about hunting rifles.
It was a time I had more money than sense. It was the magnum craze era as well.
I didn't know what the heck I was doing.

Too cheap to have a few Mk Vs, but I do have a few Vanguards. Hands down my favourite rifle.

I've been debating getting a Mk V in .300 WM for a while though.

What makes everyone choose the mark v? 54* bolt throw? Their stocks?
For me, I didn't come from a hunting, or gun ownership family.
Neighbors/friends hunted and got me into it.
When I was old enough, and had enough money saved up I bought my first rifle.
Savage 110 in 30-30.
This was in 1985. God I'm getting old!!
Back then the gold standard of factory rifles for hunters were Weatherby Mark V and Browning A Bolt.
The Ruger 77 MKII Stainless with the Zytel synthetic stock ( aka the boat paddle) were priced higher than I could afford.
But nostalgia being what it is, I have always wanted any of those above.
Poor career choices, divorce, forclosure, and me being a single parent left me still admiring from afar.

It really wasn't until the last 10 years that I could finally afford to make some of the rifles a reality.
That and I ran across a few deals that I couldn't pass up.

I had bought a first gen Vangard in 243 Win for my daughter when she expressed an interest in hunting.
Worst gun I've ever owned!
I was relieved when she traded it in on a bow.

So when I decided that I wanted a Weatherby, the Mark V was the only one that I was interested in.
Originally was looking at the Mark V Hunter in 280AI.
The more I handled them the more I disliked the stock.
Had a slick, plasticy feel.
Saved up a couple hundred more dollars and got the Mark V Weathermark LT.
I was really looking to get the Ultra Lightweight, but they quit making it.
So I had to buy Golfer's Ultra Lightweight.
Then the Deluxe dropped into my safe.

For me, I didn't come from a hunting, or gun ownership family.
Neighbors/friends hunted and got me into it.
When I was old enough, and had enough money saved up I bought my first rifle.
Savage 110 in 30-30.
This was in 1985. God I'm getting old!!
Back then the gold standard of factory rifles for hunters were Weatherby Mark V and Browning A Bolt.
The Ruger 77 MKII Stainless with the Zytel synthetic stock ( aka the boat paddle) were priced higher than I could afford.
But nostalgia being what it is, I have always wanted any of those above.
Poor career choices, divorce, forclosure, and me being a single parent left me still admiring from afar.

It really wasn't until the last 10 years that I could finally afford to make some of the rifles a reality.
That and I ran across a few deals that I couldn't pass up.

I had bought a first gen Vangard in 243 Win for my daughter when she expressed an interest in hunting.
Worst gun I've ever owned!
I was relieved when she traded it in on a bow.

So when I decided that I wanted a Weatherby, the Mark V was the only one that I was interested in.
Originally was looking at the Mark V Hunter in 280AI.
The more I handled them the more I disliked the stock.
Had a slick, plasticy feel.
Saved up a couple hundred more dollars and got the Mark V Weathermark LT.
I was really looking to get the Ultra Lightweight, but they quit making it.
So I had to buy Golfer's Ultra Lightweight.
Then the Deluxe dropped into my safe.

For me I’m not sure what brought me to them. I remembering using a friends when I was younger and was always was “wowed” by what I saw. Bought my first Weatherby at a sporting good store going out of business sale. $300 is what I paid. It was a vanguard but it shot darn good. So I then found a used mark V. I didn’t have the time to develop a load and accuracy wasn’t that of the vanguard. This was when I learned that the early model Mark V’s didn’t have as good of accuracy guarantee as the vanguard 1.5” vs sub moa. That left not the best taste. I got rid of that and had other vanguards that always shot and could never bring myself to buy a vanguard in the Weatherby chamberings with 24” tubes. I happened to stumble back into a R700 fluted not the SF model at a store and scooped that up. I felt like I found a diamond in the rough. I’ve never found much info on that model with a blued barrel with flutes and have only ever seen one other. And still have it. I found that ULW and needed it. Then decided I didn’t need two and the 700 had more sentimental value and got rid of the ULW. But after that I’ve always felt I needed another. Then recently went to the local sporting goods store on the wrong day. ULW in one of the few calibers I’ve never had. The debate didn’t last too long and here we are with another. I will say the driver for me is their speed. Roy had in my opinion that figured out well before many. Pair those chamberings with Nosler bullets and that’s about as tough of a combo to beat as there will be. I do favor the fit of the stocks that come with those ULW stocks.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MidwestSniper03
Back