We finally did it!!!!

Idaho Ron

Today was a milestone day for me and Gretta. All I can say is the lord blessed us this year. I passed the 150 mark on chukars ( as of today 157) in one season and Gretta has had a SMOKIN year. Between me and my son we have shot 207 birds this season over her points. I know a couple of other guys shot birds over her but I don't remember theirs so I am not counting them.
Todays hunt was tough. since the season closed area 3 those guys are pushing in on area 1. The amount of 4 wheelers being used to hunt off of is sick. I wished I could catch these A--holes when they are hunting. I am sick of seeing tire tracks along the canyon. These A--holes are going to get the whole season closed because they don't want to walk.
I walked 12 miles today. I got my 8 birds but like I said they are spooky and hard to get close to. One of the coveys I shot at I thought I saw a third bird wobble a little when I shot. I lost sight of it because everything was grey. After I shot my 7th bird I started to walk back. I didn't remember where that was but all of a sudden here comes Gretta with a bird in her mouth. She had found my limit bird. A little while later she found a shed pronghorn horn and she brought it to me as well. I was pretty happy about that. That was the second shed antelope horn I have ever found.
I was going to try to hunt tomorrow but I am too broke down. I will give it another shot on SAturday and Monday, then it is all over. Ron

Awesome! Good to you and Gretta. So, when do I get to come up next year?? ;)

I too have heard of the ATV's along the canyon being a problem. Looks like the BLM needs to either change their travel plan or enforce the one they have. The guy I work with that is from Buhl has applied for the Fisheries Biologist position in the Jarbidge office. So, if he gets that don't be suprised to see me up there next year. :D

Congratulations on a great year. Nothing like a good bird year when the dog is young to get her going real well. She'll be even better next year. At her age they soak up every little bit of exposure to birds and store it away for future reference. If it were me I'd make sure she kept seeing birds all spring, right up to nesting time.

Nice work Ron! Gretta is hard wired for life. Bad deal about the ATV's. Seems like people have forgot how to hunt.

Unfortuneately this season has been lagging for me with the employment changing.......That being said, I'm going out tomorrow for the last hunt of the season and most likely the last hunt in Nevada.

Ron, great job on a great year. I can't even imagine shooting that many chukars. I went out last weekend in Northern Az. I shot for the first time over a dog. I shot a double and was very happy over that. They were my 3rd & 4th birds in Az. and my 7th & 8th lifetime. I love hunting chukars granted I only have about 8 days in Az. 2 in Oregon, 2 in Idaho.
I enjoy reading your storys, Ithaca 37 & T-bone. T, I am sure you will find some great bird hunting where ever you end up. Where are you headed too, by the way, Good Luck to all, JLG.

P.S. If you want to see pictures of our hunt go to www.azuho.com and find the thread that sez "Chuk,Chuk,Ducks", under Members Pictures & Stories..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back