Caribou Gear

Waterfowl retirement

Jamen

Saturday marked my 30th ND duck opener in a row. I have been going since i was 3. It marked Skia's 12th. And after 12 great years sadly this will be her last opener as a retriever for me. Bittersweet feeling, the mud and cattails are a bit too much for her and her arthritis. I can sit back and scroll through pictures of some great hunts, fun memories, some not so fun learning curves of a puppy. One of the most memorable moments was this swan. Buddy called me and told me he saw a few swan left on a lake. So we buzzed up there, very windy, sleet, ice on the banks. Got this swan and by the time Skia got to me it was about 100 yards out and drifting. She saw it right away and dove in, i was nervous ready to recall her big waves and freezing water are not a great combination. But determined she closed the distance and grabbed the swan. My 2nd biggest with 76in wingspan. Many treats and a warm bath were had after that.

We will try a few smaller upland walks this fall and maybe just maybe if we find a duck that has a bank of no mud and cattails we may try for one more retrieve. Sad to see her get old but happy for the memories. Now she enjoys the retired life of treats, all the pets and attention, giant heating pads in the cold and air conditioning in the heat.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJschilling
Back