PEAX Equipment

Wall tent vs tipi tent

Here's our situation. We do a 7-9 day elk hunt every year in the same area. Our camp is 8 miles from the trailhead and we have horses. Our group is usually 4 or 5 guys. We have always had 2 wall tents, 2 big wood stoves, cots, etc to make a very plush camp.

The issue is, the tents and stoves are extremely heavy. Our stock horses are getting older and weight is getting to be more and more of an issue. We like to be able to get camp in and out in one load and we almost couldn't do that this past year. It took 2 horses just for the wall tents and stoves. It also takes hours to set up and take down the wall tents. I am thinking I could replace one of the wall tents with a seek outside 16 person tipi and stove and be around 20 lbs total. Set up and take down looks like it would be much easier as well.

My two older buddies (78 & 82) could use the wall tent and the "younger" guys could use the tipi. I'm guessing the tipi would not be as plush as the wall tent, but the weight savings would be substantial. Any thoughts or suggestions?
The downfall of Tipi's is there is no floor. you can buy a floor or add the tarp from packing. We switched to sill nylon tents years ago. Best thing ever. We use a titanium stove. I have a 6 man Tipi Seek outside with a half liner and fiberglass pole and a stove jack and two doors for $900 if you are interested.

Back