Advertisement

Unit 45 New Mexico

jadkins223

I need some input. I have a unit wide landowner tag for unit 45 New Mexico. My hunt options are muzzy October 5-9. Rifle oct 12-16. My first elk hunt. Muzzy is no scope so 100 yards max but I have discovered most have said the rut is still going on during muzzy.

What would yall recommend me do? I’ll be solo. Rifle or muzzy? I know my 7 mag well and am confident out to 600.

They may still be a little vocal into that rifle tag. It’s New Mexico I think your problem is more likely killing them than finding them I’d take a rifle

They may still be a little vocal into that rifle tag. It’s New Mexico I think your problem is more likely killing them than finding them I’d take a rifle
That’s good to know man. Some of those drainages are a mile wide peak to peak! Big intimidating country for sure. I’m excited. Most likely going rifle for that reason

I will neither confirm nor deny ,that NM has elk.................and those Sangres lightning storms will try and kill you.
Have fun.

I will neither confirm nor deny ,that NM has elk.................and those Sangres lightning storms will try and kill you.
Have fun.
Haha I’ve heard the hail storms can be pretty nasty too. Im sure I’ll have all kinds of curve balls thrown at me. Should be an adventure

If it was me I’d go with the rifle. I’d get a tripod and big glass and put them to work. I mean for like 7-8 hours a day work. A few things to consider on my opinion I’m not a rifle hunter by nature and my only experience in New Mexico was in a “non elk” unit what was full of bulls I can only imagine what you’ll find if you are patient and glass. Or take the muzzy and start learning how to call now.

I know my 7 mag well and am confident out to 600.
"Confident out to 600" on a calm day at the range. My 7 REM mag reaches out there too, but the recommendation is to call as the early Oct season may still be in rut. Bring one in to within 300 yds, then confidently shoot, without the real worry about wind and other long range shooting detractors. 'Just my 2 cents.

If it was me I’d go with the rifle. I’d get a tripod and big glass and put them to work. I mean for like 7-8 hours a day work. A few things to consider on my opinion I’m not a rifle hunter by nature and my only experience in New Mexico was in a “non elk” unit what was full of bulls I can only imagine what you’ll find if you are patient and glass. Or take the muzzy and start learning how to call now.
I like that approach and what I intend to do. Lots of glassing in hopes to catch one going from food to bedding. I’ll update the group after my hunt for sure

"Confident out to 600" on a calm day at the range. My 7 REM mag reaches out there too, but the recommendation is to call as the early Oct season may still be in rut. Bring one in to within 300 yds, then confidently shoot, without the real worry about wind and other long range shooting detractors. 'Just my 2 cents.
Yeah I agree. 300 or even 200 is the preference. I appreciate that man

I have hunted that unit for first rifle a couple of times. In the area I was in the bulls were quiet. One of the hunts I bugled in a couple of bulls but they came in completely silent. On another hunt I set up and cow called and bugled at first light and was able to bring in a bull that came in bugling but that was the only bull I ever heard bugle in that area. My area was not great for glassing but in the areas I was able to glass I wasn’t turning up much. Seems like everything had made its way back into the timber before it was daylight. It’s a big unit and I’m sure results will vary this was my limited experience.

I have hunted that unit for first rifle a couple of times. In the area I was in the bulls were quiet. One of the hunts I bugled in a couple of bulls but they came in completely silent. On another hunt I set up and cow called and bugled at first light and was able to bring in a bull that came in bugling but that was the only bull I ever heard bugle in that area. My area was not great for glassing but in the areas I was able to glass I wasn’t turning up much. Seems like everything had made its way back into the timber before it was daylight. It’s a big unit and I’m sure results will vary this was my limited experience.
That’s good info I appreciate that. I have wondered how effective glassing will be because it’s so thick and big country. I guess I’ll just see what I get into!

That’s good info I appreciate that. I have wondered how effective glassing will be because it’s so thick and big country. I guess I’ll just see what I get into!
I also had some luck turning up elk by side hilling the dark timber mid day into the wind on a very windy day. Moving slow and glassing through the timber to try and spot something. I’m sure there are parts of the unit that are really good for glassing, just not the area I was in.

I also had some luck turning up elk by side hilling the dark timber mid day into the wind on a very windy day. Moving slow and glassing through the timber to try and spot something. I’m sure there are parts of the unit that are really good for glassing, just not the area I was in.
I can see that being successful as well. I have my hands full sounds like. Should be fun

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back