Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Trip to Des Moines Iowa, looking for fishing ideas

MThunter398

I have an upcoming work trip to Des Moines, I will be in town for three weeks. My weekends will be free and I immediately thought of opportunities I might be able to capitalize on as I've never really been to Iowa aside from driving through. I see that Saylorville Lake will be right in my back yard. Does anyone have any tips, general areas, or even fishing charters for Saylorville? Maybe I'm way off the mark, maybe a better fishing spot near by, or a completely different pursuit I'm not aware of in the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

I’m nearby. If you want to go fishing on the weekends I can show you around - I fish several times a week already. What are you interested in?
Channel cats? Big bluegill? Topwater largemouths? Big Flatheads? Carp?

Other outdoor stuff this time of year includes trapping snapping turtles, chanterelle hunting, and coyote calling.

Whatever you’re interested in I can set you up.

Ever been to Bar 52 in Wibeaux? I used to live up that way.

I’m nearby. If you want to go fishing on the weekends I can show you around - I fish several times a week already. What are you interested in?
Channel cats? Big bluegill? Topwater largemouths? Big Flatheads? Carp?

Other outdoor stuff this time of year includes trapping snapping turtles, chanterelle hunting, and coyote calling.

Whatever you’re interested in I can set you up.

Ever been to Bar 52 in Wibeaux? I used to live up that way.

I drive though Wibaux all the time, my in-laws are in the Baker area, but I never really stop. I think the Shamrock is the only bar I've ever been to there. But I hear Bar 52 is good, I really need to stop there sometime.

I wear out the cats pretty well here on the Yellowstone and Tongue. But what I miss about Wisconsin are big bluegill. Man you can catch 100 little ones a day here in the right spot, but I have yet to find a spot in eastern MT that you can catch 25 nice eaters like the I did growing up in the midwest. I like bass and northern too. I must say trapping snapping turtles sounds fun... I'll have to dive into the regulations some. I'm flying not driving so I may be a bit short on gear. Thanks a ton for the offer! I'll shoot you a DM when the time gets closer, or feel free to message me!

Man I wish those days would come back. The 25 limit and overfishing has really destroyed most of the good days of big monster bluegills in WI. Very sad.
I'm sad to hear that. I've been gone about 6 years and the last few years I was still in WI I was in college, so less fishing going on. I may be wrong but I bet there is still some awesome pan fishing up nort'. I've always been more of an ice fisherman, but I think spawning bluegill on a fly rod may be the premier way to get a mess of panfish in some hot oil.

I'm sad to hear that. I've been gone about 6 years and the last few years I was still in WI I was in college, so less fishing going on. I may be wrong but I bet there is still some awesome pan fishing up nort'. I've always been more of an ice fisherman, but I think spawning bluegill on a fly rod may be the premier way to get a mess of panfish in some hot oil.
There are a few good spots but they are far and few below now.

There are too many good panfish spots to list within an hour of Des Moines. Keep in mind that Red Rock, the biggest lake in Iowa is in that range and Rathbun is another 40 minutes south. Both have outfitters you can hire. For bluegill I would look at smaller lakes including municipal reservoirs. I'm over an hour south of Des Moines but I'll help if I can.

Kenetrek Boots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bschunter1
Back