Trapping Thread 2024/2025

Season will be here before u know it. Working on some older northwood #2 offset traps. Replacing the old springs. And 4 coil base plate and replace the old chain. With new # 3 machine chain. Add 3 mb swivels and laminate the jaws. Work the pan and dog over. Have a good coyote trap. Here Season is open yr around on private land. For coyotes bobcat, coon, oppsum, skunks, grey and red fox.

Glad to see another trapping thread for the year.
Probably won't make any sets this year again, not enough time in the day for me, but I love checking in and seeing everyone's fur.
Good luck to all!

I've always dabbled in trapping. Tried catching coyote(s) in foot hold traps last year, watched a bunch of youtubes, read a lot, etc. Put out some sets and mostly got skunked, caught junk critters in the traps or had them dug up, but eventually caught one which was very rewarding.

For those that foot hold trap these critters, throw a few pointers out there please. Trap type, chain & anchor setup, bedding & cover method, pan cover, scents, etc. Thanks !

Note - I've caught a bunch of them in snares and find that to be not that difficult when we have snow and can see where they run, but snow around here anymore is not reliable.

One of these days I need to get started on putting up 60 or so beavers from spring. I did all my 330 repairs this summer already. Will trap a few problem fall beavers and coyotes this winter. Probably just run my best bait or two so I have more time to call. I prefer calling even tho it’s not nearly as effective

I'm going to run a small line of coon boxes with 160s, and a few footholds for fox. I'll put the coon boxes out early for the 5 day fisher season here in Western NY. We've been over run with them for about a decade, they have decimated the turkey, rabbit and squirrel populations.

I've always dabbled in trapping. Tried catching coyote(s) in foot hold traps last year, watched a bunch of youtubes, read a lot, etc. Put out some sets and mostly got skunked, caught junk critters in the traps or had them dug up, but eventually caught one which was very rewarding.

For those that foot hold trap these critters, throw a few pointers out there please. Trap type, chain & anchor setup, bedding & cover method, pan cover, scents, etc. Thanks !

Note - I've caught a bunch of them in snares and find that to be not that difficult when we have snow and can see where they run, but snow around here anymore is not reliable.
Takes a while to figure everything out. But u will just keep trying. 2 main thing get your traps dug up. Trap wasn't bedded Solid. Or your trap had some lure/ food on your trap. Coons love to play in dug up dirt. And they will dig/flip a trap. I trapped a 5000 acre hunting club. I took 53 coyotes off it. Sets I made was dirt hole flat set and pipe set. When I know I am going to get rain . I put more flat sets out. I use grass clipping. And not dirt so rain dont wash clipping away as bad. One of the main times I use a pan cover. The old roads I trap out of my truck. The closer to the road the better. A coyote like a person. He will take the easiest travel route. Snaring in the south. No snow and deer trails everywhere. Even if u use a jump stick. Had adult deer try to go under a 2.5 ft tall limb. Only thing we have to use is a one piece lock. And a deer stop. I use a mini pro. Law here is 2.5 inch minimum loop. I put mine at 3 inch loop minimum. U will still catch deer. I even catch young pigs in my coyote sets. Using a #3 offset jaws 4 coil fully modified traps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BradenBowhunter148
Back