Caribou Gear Tarp

Tomorrow is the day

peterk1234

I've been trying to pattern these damn whitetails on a piece of ag land. Well, after four days of sneaking around I have it figured out. I let the place sit for over a week so they should be back to their routine. And here is the best part. I have a tree I can actually climb. Thank God because trying to get them in the open is futile. And these buggers are nothing like the ones I used to hunt in Massachusetts. You spook a Mass deer they run a couple hundred yards. Montana whitetail is a whole other level of flight. They even get a hint of you, they jump up, snort and run like hell for two miles scaring the living crap out of any other animal that is bedded anywhere within a one mile radius. To put it plainly, they suck.

But, tomorrow is the day. I have a doe tag and there is one heck of a 4x4 hanging with the ladies that I would burn my general on in a second.

Last edited:
I've been trying to pattern these damn whitetails on a piece of ag land. Well, after four days of sneaking around I have it figured out. I let the place sit for over a week so they should be back to their routine. And here is the best part. I have a tree I can actually climb. Thank God because trying to get them in the open is futile. And these buggers are nothing like the ones I used to hunt in Massachusetts. You spook a Mass deer they run a couple hundred yards. Montana whitetail is a whole other level of flight. They even get a hint of you, they jump up, snort and run like hell for two miles scaring the living crap out of any other animal that is bedded anywhere within a one mile radius. To put it plainly, they suck.

But, tomorrow is the day. I have a doe tag and there is one heck of a 4x4 hanging with the ladies that I would burn my general on in a second.

Good luck.

Prefect plan. Bad execution. They showed up as expected but I miss judged my yardage. Fortunately, a total miss. I have never missed. So frustrating, but happy it wasn't a bad miss. Went to our evening spot later in the day. I made a stalk and got within 50 yards but I did not like the quartering angle so I let it walk.

Later my son in law shot a doe. Looked at the arrow and knew it was a gut shot. It ran down to the swamp but I wanted to get eyes on it because it is thick in there and there was no blood trail. We were able to glass her and I was able to convince my son in law to let it be until morning. We went back in at 5am. She never moved. It was a textbook gut shot recovery.

Prefect plan. Bad execution. They showed up as expected but I miss judged my yardage. Fortunately, a total miss. I have never missed. So frustrating, but happy it wasn't a bad miss. Went to our evening spot later in the day. I made a stalk and got within 50 yards but I did not like the quartering angle so I let it walk.

Later my son in law shot a doe. Looked at the arrow and knew it was a gut shot. It ran down to the swamp but I wanted to get eyes on it because it is thick in there and there was no blood trail. We were able to glass her and I was able to convince my son in law to let it be until morning. We went back in at 5am. She never moved. It was a textbook gut shot recovery.
Even though it's hard to wait. It's the best thing to do on a gut shot.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fireguy22
Back