Yeti GOBOX Collection

Tipping Hammers

I love Hammers and TTSX, but when I have a load that needs a little more speed Hammers always deliver.
They do. And I could Rokslide the shit out of an elk with my .243 and a 70 or 80 grain Hammer because of that speed. I just prefer a different rifle for elk hunting. mtmuley

They do. And I could Rokslide the shit out of an elk with my .243 and a 70 or 80 grain Hammer because of that speed. I just prefer a different rifle for elk hunting. mtmuley
Was a game changer for my son's 7mm08 Tikka that was just oddly slow loading TTSX. I happy to hunt a 7mm08 driving 134 grn mono at 3050fps any day.

Hammers in efficient cartridges (e.g. 7mm-08) will make you think you're shooting a magnum. 131gr HH's go 3k from my 20" 7mm-08, but FWIW I am dropping that down a bit due to some indications of overpressure that weren't there originally but popped up after a couple years of sitting on the shelf. But even 2900fps with the 131gr is nipping at the heels ballistically of the factory-spec 7mm Rem Mag Partitions loads. That's obviously apples and oranges, my point is just that there can be a surprisingly small gap between standard SA handloads with Hammers and factory loads from the corresponding magnums.

Getting back on topic: I just placed an order for the 118gr HHT's to see if my gun likes them. Word on the street is that they're a good match for the 7/08.

Last edited:
Saw .243 mentioned and can say that at least in the .243 I got for my 12 year old son, that 42.2 grains of Rl-17 and an 80 grain ttsx is a bit over 3100fps.

Last edited:
Saw .243 mentioned and can say that at least in the .243 I got for my 12 year old son, that 42.2 grains of Rl-17 and an 80 grain ttsx is a bit over 3100fps.
I'll look at my notes. I'm pretty sure I am a lot faster than that with an 80 grain Hammer. 22" barrel. Going to load the 70's soon. mtmuley

What is the best hammer option in 27 cal? I’m loading 6.8 western. Using nosler accubonds now. 150 grain. Supply can be difficult at times for them.

Back